Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the car to a mechanic today and they said I need a whole new supercharger and that is the reason why my car has a check engine light is on. They quoted me $3600 for the job and a new supercharger and I'm thinking about just doing it myself because I simply just can't pay that much right now. However I have no experience really other than what I read etc. And right now Im just looking for advice on what to do at this point.

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
314 Posts
I had to remove my supercharger in order to change the oil in it as the filler bung was seized . Remove the air box completely and you can see it , it's only a few bolts and take off the belt and a few pipes .

Most difficult part is physically getting it out , it's a tight fit and takes a little wiggling about , don't be scared of doing it yourself , it's basic nuts and bolts mechanics and difficult to go wrong if you take your time and use logic , took me a couple of hours to remove and replace completely .

That said I think you would be better off going to another garage for a second opinion before you do anything .

·
Registered
80 Posts
remove

It took me about 5hrs to change my supercharger, its quite fiddly getting the thing out that took about 1/2hr then another 1/2hr getting the replacement in.It is just a few bolts. I had a loud noise on mine so I changed it, still got the loud noise,so it wasnt the supercharger..... sigh

·
Registered
156 Posts
check out and google on you tube.. look up "wheeler dealers" SLK episode.. they swap out a compressor.. its not chapter and verse but no way could I afford a new compressor either.. id go for a second hand item with hopefully a couple of months warranty.. from memory they say you would need to take off the belts on the car, off, the compressor is on/near the inlet manifold.. while this reply may not be of much practical help, do look up the wheeler dealer SLK episode and the compressor swap out is about 3/4 the way through the programme.. if you don't know a local non main dealer technician, have a go yourself, I would. I should imagine that after disconnecting the battery, noting the position of the drive belts and remove them, you would unbolt the compressor from the manifold.. just take your time and note where everything is also take photos from your phone or something as you go.. and study as many online info as you can before starting I guess.. hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys, the codes were a p1235, p0410 and a P0170. I took out the MAF and cleaned it and took care of the P0170. I ended up just replacing the supercharger for $800 with a 2 year warranty. Hopefully this will fix everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.