Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,682 Posts
Curro101 has explained the model numbers which ties in with your 170 part number. 1998 the slk's were just getting going so it does not surprise me if there are part number discrepancies. I have been through 2 R170 series and several PSE's the different models use different software, different number of connections and sometimes different wiring terminations so you do need to match units. The good news is that units do not need coding to the car so are 'plug and play'.

The PSE unit in the R170 series suffered a lot from this, search the forum for tales of woe! it is worth examining your unit, opening it up and drying out the circuits and treating with a quality electronic circuit protector before lashing out great amounts of money.

When you do get a replacement unit I suggest doing the mod where the unit is turned upside down to mitigate some water ingress. The other critical thing is a regular check and clean of the various body drains. Search the forum, I think there is a 'how-to' on the main page of the R170 area of this forum.

Great to know that a 16 year old car is still giving as much pleasure to someone as a new one!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
new owner of an slk

Many Many thanks from all the members that have greeted me to the club it a very friendly club with a lot of knowledge available from different members
and thanks for all the info about my confusion with what i thought the model was its all clear now
the biggest problem at the mo is that i am having a bit of a job locating the exact part number without breaking the bank there are so many on Ebay ranging from 1998 and later but the part number is not the same as the one that came out of the car the data card and details of the original part number was 21080000648 but the one taken out has the number
1708000548 and the motor was completely seized up and rusted up and the PCB was one mass of corrosion, which i have cleaned with a toothbrush and switch cleaner, and the rest just fell apart into a few bits so i think its shot it.
I have even thought of converting it to solenoid central locking with a kit that is available with a remote and fit an after market alarm
I have been offered on from a 1998 slk komppressor but even though the year of the car is the same its a different part number???? so i am even more confused why doesnt the car of the same year have the correct one ???????? mickmm:confused:

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,761 Posts
The most likely is that the 170 refernce part is the original and the 210 reference is the newer Mercedes substitute part .

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
15,123 Posts
Welcome and thanks for joining!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
relacement central lock pump

Hi Members, as you know i have been confused about the replacement of the central locking module on my 1998 slk 230, so just to clarify things such as part numbers i decided to go the my local M B dealers armed with vin numbers etc, after a lot of searching on ebay etc i found that lots of people say the number is this and the number is that now i have found out from the dealer the number i have been given for a new replacement is completely different to tyhe one on the part removed ????? the guy at the counter now says the number on the part i took was the outer casing number ????? so i am even more confused now biu!!! he did tell me a part could be obtained at the cost of £514 wow it just seems a lot of money for a small part
The alarm still works when you press the lock button and does switch off ok
now i am possibly looking at installing an after market solenoid operated door locking system with a separate remote its certainly a cheaper option and i dont see why it would not work after all you get all the bracket pull rods and everything to it i wonder if anyone has ever considered doing the conversion mickmm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
replacement locking pump

Hi all the saga goes on after visiting the main dealers and getting the details for a replacement with relevant part numbers and at a price of £512 i managed to get the exact part number replacement for £160 delivered from west midlands breakers i then decide to install it but found the when the old plug was removed pins were left inside the old plug and cannot be removed so i have ordered new plugs the other thing i am bothered about is the old unit only had 2 plugs but the new one has 4 plugs i did ask at Mercedes and they seemed to think the others are used for different features on other years so as soon as i get the plugs i am hoping that it will work :tu: mickmm

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,874 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley Enthusiasts!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Get a length of rubber tubing from Mercedes to extend the yellow air lines attached
to the pump so you can mount it upside down, this is a MERC work around to prevent water draining down the wiring into the unit if any drain tubes are blocked, or water gets into the boot.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.