Mercedes SLK World banner

New loaded SLK 350 or used SLK 55 for the same price?

• Loaded 2009 SLK 350 w/ AMG sport package

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • 2006 SLK 55

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypothetically speaking, if you could get a 2009 SLK 350 loaded with the same options (including the AMG sport package with 18" rims, COMAND w/ NAV and all the other niceties) as a used 2006 SLK 55 for approximately the same price, what would you rather have?

On one hand there's a lot of stuff like the newer navigation system with better Ipod and USB integration in the facelift entertainment unit that the older models can't match. On the other, you can't beat having a monster V8 engine.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've had a similar poll but here it's a 2007 55 fully loaded vs a 2008 350 with Sport Pack (not AMG pack).

I've decided on the 55 AMG.

As Dan always says. Newer isn't always better. the new 350 does have a boost in power and i'm not to sure if there were much changes on the '06 and '07 55 besides paddles, dashboard etc... but in my case i'm going 55.

It's really personal preferance, remember the newer cars take a harder hit on depreciation than say a 2 year old car.

:)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,433 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Also, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for security updates and repairs to the site. Any amount is welcome! Thanks!

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
If the 350 isn't manual transmission then get the 55. I was never into used cars before but from the deals I've seen, I wouldn't buy any other way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses so far guys.

The thing is used CPO SLK 55s aren't as cheap up here in Canada as they are south of the border. What if it's such a wicked deal on a new 350 that it would basically negate any depreciation hit in the first 1.5 years? The prices for both cars would be basically the same, but you get a car that's 3-4 years newer.

In addition to the new electronics (including voice control and bluetooth integration), you actually get to choose the colour and transmission type. I'm a techie so the new COMAND unit looks very enticing to me. It makes the decision a bit tougher, doesn't it?

Also maintenance and fuel costs would factor. How much more expensive is the 55 to service?

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
My vote was based on owning the car for 3-4 years - newer technology, awesome HP, and the new engine technology are all strong pluses.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys...I ended up today with an '06 SLK 55 with 38745 km (24075 miles). Taking delivery next week!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Thanks guys...I ended up today with an '06 SLK 55 with 38745 km (24075 miles). Taking delivery next week!
CONGRATULATIONS EATBEME!!! Gotta post some photos when you get the chance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! I took delivery last Thursday, and brought my photographer friend along. It's in great condition and my salesman just called me today for a follow up. Here are some pics attached...

·
Registered
561 Posts
welcome to the 55 club! Its defnitely a FUN ride =)

Nice pics btw...you need to have your "photographer friend" come down here and take some of my cars pics. I'm horrible with camera :/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.