Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second posting for today. I have had my 2006 SLK280 for about 3 years, but have just started to become more active in this forum.
The questions I have now, is the SLK (I guess it’s now the SLC) to be eliminated in the near future.
I have read or just heard that the 2 seater hard top convertible may be. I hope this information is wrong.
Also I guess the 2017 SLC is a 4 cylinder w/a turbo. Has this been the right way to go and does it have the same or better performance then my older 2006 SLK280?
Thanks again guys.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,906 Posts
moved your thread

check out the slc gen discussion section as these questions have been covered before

please use the forum search feature

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,652 Posts
Hard top is rumoured to be a gonner! That's pretty grim.

V8 is dead in the small cars already, SLC AMG does V6 turbocharged.

I am looking for the latest model R171 AMG 55, with the lowest mileage I can find. Reckon it will at least hold it's value until I move over to an electric disabled scooter!

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Hard top is rumoured to be a gonner! That's pretty grim.

V8 is dead in the small cars already, SLC AMG does V6 turbocharged.

I am looking for the latest model R171 AMG 55, with the lowest mileage I can find. Reckon it will at least hold it's value until I move over to an electric disabled scooter!
Hardtop looks very nice and easy to clean but it's heavy. From reading all the post on the Boxster forums, most will not buy it because the added weight. V8 is pretty much dead in small cars, at least the SLC AMG still have a V6, for the new Boxster, it's all turbo 4's so a lot of 981 will not move to the new 781. Porsches are moving to electric so who knows, there might be an electric Boxster in the future.

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
303 Posts
I've got a 43 , I drove the 18 hour - 840 miles back from my French house the other week at around about the speed limits and I was getting 34 mpg , roof down all the way and it's a very comfortable car over a distance . It makes a great noise when you want it to and is borderline quiet in comfort mode .
I think they are great things and would recommend one to anyone who wants a do it all sports car . I'm already on 7000 miles , I'm a believer in enjoying things myself and not keeping them box fresh for the next owner :smile:

·
Banned
974 Posts
Hardtop looks very nice and easy to clean but it's heavy. From reading all the post on the Boxster forums, most will not buy it because the added weight.
Got a gut feeling many sports car owners, especially those who buy Porsche have very high opinions of their driving skills & I doubt if very many REALLY can tell the difference between the weights of a fabric & solid roof. They THINK they can because they have read it somewhere & unless they have been highly trained on a motor circuit few would have any idea how to handle such cars at anywhere near the limits of handling, On the roads in the UK you are only ever going to be driving at 50% of a cars performance envelope, let alone the drivers envelope.
Boxster owners are especially vocal on such matters & having marshalled at many Porsche Owner Club track days it's the Boxster owners that make most twits of themselves. We used to have private bets as to how long we would have to wait before extracting a Boxster or a 911 & its deluded owner from the Armco.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Got a gut feeling many sports car owners, especially those who buy Porsche have very high opinions of their driving skills & I doubt if very many REALLY can tell the difference between the weights of a fabric & solid roof. They THINK they can because they have read it somewhere & unless they have been highly trained on a motor circuit few would have any idea how to handle such cars at anywhere near the limits of handling, On the roads in the UK you are only ever going to be driving at 50% of a cars performance envelope, let alone the drivers envelope.
Boxster owners are especially vocal on such matters & having marshalled at many Porsche Owner Club track days it's the Boxster owners that make most twits of themselves. We used to have private bets as to how long we would have to wait before extracting a Boxster or a 911 & its deluded owner from the Armco.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree, I'm no pro driver but I can definitely feel the difference. It's hard not to be able to feel ~400 lbs worth of weight. The SLK is a fun car but as far as handling, it's night and day and it's not even close. I used to track my SLK all the time, if you dig through my earlier post you will see them.

Porsche community is very different than the Mercedes community at least here in America. When I used to track my SLK. I was the only Mercedes at every track event. BMW's and Porsches are everywhere. I am part of the local PCA (Porsche Club of America) and we have track events every other weekend in Spring and Summer and if you don't register quick, all available spots are filled quickly. When I had my SLK, I wanted to join the Mercedes club, there isn't much to do, some charity events, some car shows, and maybe an occasional drive. There are no driving events, so yeah, you can't bet on a Mercedes acting stupid on the track, they are as rare as a four leaf clover. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just saying both communities are different.

·
Registered
53 Posts
All these small-engined turbo cars that are coming through will outperform the older 6's and 8's quite easily....but, for me at least, some of the soul has gone. I don't care how fast I'm going in my 280, I just love the sound! I also worry about long-term reliability of such motors, I suspect they are designed in the most part to appease emissions regulators.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,086 Posts
Old belief in our house.

Buy what you desire and can afford.

If I want to burn everything off the road and be trying (note 'trying') for 100% performance most of the time
I'd stick to either bikes, or 4 wheel drive cars.

Have to work bikes hard, 4WD cars not so much.

The V8 matches my sports touring bike envelope quite well.
Ability to cruise, or blast.
Suits me just fine.

If I wanted to max it, I'd track it.
Well, I'd buy a second, track car.

I'm not out to win a race, nor even beat someone.

I'm out to have fun.

As for the P vs MB?
I know at least one (and there are more) forum member
who drives the MB on the road and his Porky for the track.
He seems a happy, well rounded character to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts