Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Administrator
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for SLKWorld.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join SLKWorld.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "SLKWorld.com Legacy".

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your SLK, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.

http://www.slkworld.com/garage.php?do=editgarage

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your SLKWorld.com Team.

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,023 Posts
Looking good so far ...

Nice job, and a big thank you...

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Looks nice. Anyway to mark forums that have had new posts since your last login? This is my first login with the new format, so maybe it will after this?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Working well on my iPad and like the new look. Tried the mobile version. May need some time to get used to it, but so far, prefer the traditional interface.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Seems to be working well, but where did the Community tab and Social Groups go? I can't find them. Or should we convert those to Clubs so that they appear under that tab?

·
Administrator
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks nice. Anyway to mark forums that have had new posts since your last login? This is my first login with the new format, so maybe it will after this?

@sokoloff - Thanks!

You can mark forums read under each section by clicking the "Forum Tools" drop down and choose "Mark This Forum Read"

You can also use the "Active Topics" or the "New Posts" link in the top toolbar to see hot topics or new posts since last log in.

Jeff

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,102 Posts
Jeff means tools then quick links then mark forum read :D

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,267 Posts
I don't see 'vehicle information' in the profiles...oh my:surprise:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I like the responsiveness of the website on a mobile device.:wink:
But definitely need some time to get used to the new design. It looks good!
It's like moving from Windows XP to Windows 8 - almost same internals, but different cover :grin:

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Nice job guys, looks great!.....

·
S L K Tech Enthusiast
602 Posts
LOVE IT in my desktop browser! Great property, now even better. This could be bad news for me because I binge on here enough already.

I discovered the Garage feature only a few days ago. Nice to learn it will get more exposure.

On iPhone and not logged in, the first thing I see is the Ride of the Month Winners with no explanation about what the site is about except the logo. Got the buttons for Forum and Menu but it feels like walking in after the movie started. Just sharing honest feedback with those I love. (No emoticons here? Else I'd have dropped in a kissy face).

Overall this is great - great - great. It's wonderful you invested so much expense and effort to keep improving the site and aren't just sitting around with the thing in Park. Thanks!

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK55 AMG
1,786 Posts
I'm sorry to intervene in all of this mutual backslapping, but I have always thought that Forums were ( in the end) owned by their users.......

....maybe I missed the consultation with us on how the new Forum should look and what the day to day users would feel would be improvements and also what they thought was not so good with the old Forum.
I think I may have had some positive input to offer and I'm sure that's shared by other members?
Jeff, you say you've been working on this for several months......
......I can only assume you didn't want/value any input from us?

IMHO this is quite a surprise to spring without any reference to us, the users, but I guess as with so many other things it's done now so live with it?

EDIT with apologies to Philordie who posted on 28/07. Sorry Phil, I've had quite a busy week. Maybe a PM to all members some months ahead or an obvious announcement beforehand asking for user input to all members that the site was proposing to change would have reached us here out in the boondocks?

BTW as a starter for ten, where are the member locations/flags?

TonyS

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I'm sorry to intervene in all of this mutual backslapping, but I have always thought that Forums were ( in the end) owned by their users.......

....maybe I missed the consultation with us on how the new Forum should look and what the day to day users would feel would be improvements and also what they thought was not so good with the old Forum.
I think I may have had some positive input to offer and I'm sure that's shared by other members?

IMHO this is quite a surprise to spring without any reference to us, the users, but I guess as with so many other things it's done now so live with it?

EDIT with apologies to Philordie who posted on 28/07. Sorry Phil, I've had quite a busy week. Maybe a PM to all members some months ahead or an obvious announcement beforehand asking for user input to all members that the site was proposing to change would have reached us here out in the boondocks?

TonyS
Hi Tony,

Just a couple of points:-

Firstly, the forum is not owned by the members, but by Autoguides - a Canadian company, who own and (successfully ) run most of the major car forums around the world.

Secondly, there have been multiple announcements regarding the option to have a new look/skin to the forum.

and finally, if you don't like the way it looks, you can always revert to the previous look, by hitting the "Quick Style Chooser" drop down button right at the end of the page.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The site looks good and I love it! I does seem to lag some when I click on links but that will probably work itself out :smile: The strange text I wrote to you (Jeff) about is gone YEA!! Good job guys!!

1 - 20 of 186 Posts