Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered 2015 SLK350
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INFO: Over the past few weeks, I noticed the left rear tire was slowly losing air. Recently, while I was out of town for 4 days, the tire lost 14psi. Took this 2015 CPO SLK to a nearby trusted indy to locate the leak, and he showed me that the OEM tire had once been plugged to fix a leak, and it was now the source of the leak. The leaking plug was also near the outer tread edge, so not wise to repair it. The car has just over 16K miles, and both rear tires were showing wear bars. Replaced the rear OEM Continentals (ContiSportContact) with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I've had good experience with Michelin Pilot Sports over the years; hopefully my good luck will hold. Normally, I would have replaced all 4 tires; however, the front Contis still have approx 60% tread left. Total cost for the new rear tires w/hazard warranty was $495.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
818 Posts
You may find you replace rears about 2/3 to 1 over fronts...staggered sizes cause that I've been told but don't quote me. I've been known to be wrong more than right when it comes to these chariots.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered 2015 SLK350
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm feeling snake-bit about my rear tires: Yesterday, I discovered that one of my brand new rear Michelins now has a puncture in the form of a screw embedded in the outer tread band! Didn't notice the problem when I started up the SLK; it hadn't been driven for about 3 days. As I slowly pulled out of my driveway the tire pressure warning system kicked in, declaring that my right rear had only 5psi! I hopped out confirmed the flat tire, then gently moved the car back into the garage. Put air in the tire today; just to confirm I won't need a tow. Fortunately, the tire/auto shop is less than a mile away. This is a long holiday weekend, so the repair/replacement will have to wait until at least Tuesday. I doubt the ink has dried on the new road hazard warranty;hoping it results in a new tire vs repair.

Update: Today the tire shop confirmed the puncture location in the outer tread band prohibits repair. So, new tire on order; may arrive this afternoon. The road hazard warranty covers the new tire, but I pay for the mounting, balance, etc. Also, I'll need a new hazard warranty to cover the new tire. Total out-of-pocket around $50.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
911 Posts
Wow, bad luck! I can totally understand, I had my new wheels on for 2 weeks and hit a monster pot hole and bent 2 of them. I was gutted. Got them fixed though and all is good. Have to see if they can patch that, when it gets close to the sidewall they don't like to sometimes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts