Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Japan :biglaugh:
I allready have The R170 SLK (2000cc) and I intend to change it with the newer R171. Since I will buy a used one do you have any suggestion on wich to choose: the R171 163hp or the R171 184hp.
I need to know the disadvantages of the R171 184hp over the previous R171 163hp apart the higher gas consumption of course.

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
Hmm I dont think there is any "disadvantages" unless you like the look of the pre-facelift better

someone correct me if I am wrong though :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm thinking off buying a R171 whit 163BHP and putting the new slk bumpers, exhaust and steering wheel on it. And I'm looking in to the ecu swap or chip tuning. I have to go whit raihax. Don't think there is a disadvantages. I have a advantage whit the R171 163BHP in belguim, much lower tax's and insurance.

So it's up to you, if your not planning on selling the car and you don't mind the work get the R171 163BHP. If you want to sell it later on get the R171 184 BHP.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,487 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for hosting and licensing fees to the site. Any amount is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Welcome..:)

I have an SLK200 184PS and welcome the 13% additional power. It's the fuel 'economy' that is improved or to put it another way fuel consumption is less that the 163PS engine.

The main differences between the two are mostly cosmetic. I actually prefer the new facelifted front end, but also like the pre-facelifted front too.

As for putting the new face-lifted front end on the earlier car, I think DanSLK has already mentioned that there are quite a number of under-the-skin changes that make this rather difficult.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
welcome from California.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I replaced a 2007 SLK200 with a 2007 SLK280 (I prefer the front of that series) and its six cylinder engine with 231 hp is so much more fun and its automatic 6-speed gearbox works well. There is not much difference in the fuel consumption and it is a much nicer car.

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,487 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.