Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got around to installing a set of projector headlights on my 1999 R170 that I obtained from ebay. They didn't have a brand listed. The installation went smooth up until it came time to install the turn signal connector. The plug on the projectors didn't fit the wiring harness of my car. There are 3 electrical pins on the stock connector and harness and only 2 electrical pins with the projector connector. There is a split on the bulb side of the connector as well. I reused the stock yellow connector with the projectors and everything seemed to work at first. That is to say my turn signals work fine until I turn on my headlights. When my headlights are on my turn signals are stuck on and won't blink and the hazard light on my my dash stays lit solid. Based on the stock connector it looks like I am shorting my hazards to my low beams or something similar.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is there an easy solution? Right now my priority is getting my turn signals to work at night as this car is my daily driver. My guess is cutting one of the wires leading to the harness might offer a temporary fix, but what one? If this is correct how about a permanent fix?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After a bit of digging I think I found the answer. I used the bulbs from the projectors in the stock sockets. The original bulbs and the bulbs that I need are dual filament 2357a bulbs. I have no idea how old the bulbs in the stock headlights are, so I'll pick up some new 2357a's tomorrow.

Someone please correct me if I'm incorrect.

Thanks!

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
509 Posts
You're on it, the original dual filament bulb is markers and turn signals apparently the "plug and play" model gave you only turn signals that were somehow wired to both marker lights and turn signals so when you had your lights off turn signals would work but when you turned your lights on you had constant power to the single filament. What you need to do is sort out which wire is which and go back to the dual filament setup, it sounds like you have both leads there so that won't be an issue.

A single filament bulb will have once contact point in the center and the bayonet connector has equal side pins because orientation doesn't matter, the dual filament will have offset pins on the side to align two contact points properly in the socket, your bulb is currently making contact with both points in the socket so powered by both turn signal and marker lamp power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had the same problem when i installed the spyder halo lights on my r170. Use the stock yellow plugs in the new headlight housing and use the stock bulbs. The color on the bulbs was coming off the original bulbs for my headlights so i just picked up some replacements from the auto parts store for ~$5.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts