Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to @11mcnamara I've found a new project car in the driveway. At the minimum, it needs a new head gasket. What else might you recommend I do while I have the head off?

Do the M111 timing chains or guides ever need replacement? I just happen to have a spare used one here in my office (although it's from a pre-FL car).

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
8,304 Posts

·
*Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Turbo
2,142 Posts
I think it's always a good idea to do the chain whilst in there, especially if it looks like it's still on the original also a fresh tensioner is a good idea I've seen a couple fail before from being stood a while. The headgasket is pretty much something that ever long term M111 owner will face at some point so getting it out if the way at the beginning means that engine will probably be bullet proof for the duration of ownership, could always switch to a MLS headgasket to really bullet proof it but it's costly. Cam adjuster can be changed at any time and takes 5 mins so wouldn't worry about that until is starts to have issues...sorry I'm so late to the party past two weeks have been so busy..

·
8,304 Posts
I'm sure you know this, just a few pointers ....

1) I always get Aluminiun Heads resurfaced too, a very very light cut, just enough to remove the brinnelling from the Head Gaskets fire ring ;)

2) New MB Head Bolts

3) Clean threads out with old bolts and compressed air to acheive an even Torque pull and thus even Gasket clamping pressure. Tiny smear of Engine Oil on Bolt threads for the same reason.

HTH

·
*Premium Member
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Compression for cyls 1-4 is 20, 0, 145, 150 PSI

Thoughts on a valve job while it's out? car has 200k miles.

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
485 Posts
Timing chain shouldn't be required, M111 of that era used double row chains and those are pretty stout compared to thinner than bicycle chains we use in modern engines.

As long as the timing is on point when you assemble everything together and turn the engine over at least 4 times (with tensioner installed), chain is fine.

Replace the tensioner though.

·
8,304 Posts
Timing chain shouldn't be required, M111 of that era used double row chains and those are pretty stout compared to thinner than bicycle chains we use in modern engines.

As long as the timing is on point when you assemble everything together and turn the engine over at least 4 times (with tensioner installed), chain is fine.

Replace the tensioner though.
/\ /\ /\ Absolutely 100% +1 (y)

Well worth doing a valve job though ;)

·
8,304 Posts
Just Head Bolts, not gonna do the Gasket as well then ?

:ROFLMAO: 🤣 :ROFLMAO: 🤣 :ROFLMAO:

·
8,304 Posts
Actually, we are laughing, but I feel a Dave (true) story coming on ;)

About 10 years back a local friend of mine had a Shogun Turbo Diesel, he bought it from a local ass who had cooked it.

At that time, I did the job properly for him, had the Head pressure tested and skimmed, new Gaskets, Bolts etc etc etc and also new T/Stat and Radiator. The Rad was the causal part of the local ass cooking it cos it was bodged with Araldite and elastic bands etc around a cracked top hose stub ;)

Long story short 4 years and umpteen k miles of hard use later after I had fixed it, it started pushing a little Coolant outta the overflow and the ECT was creeping up and up. It got worse and worse.

By then it was pretty rotten, so my buddy popped the question, would I try JB Weld jollop, as he knew it wasn't gonna get another MOT at the end of it's current test, at which point his brother was gonna have it for general off road towing duties around his croft, dragging his wife outta ditches, pulling coos and sheep up the hill etc etc ................

So, I enquired at my factors and bought 2 bottles of JB weld, and I followed the destructions to the letter, did the dance with one hand on my head etc etc ..................

Now, we are another 5 years on and that rotten old Shogun is absolutely falling to bits but still running fine and dragging his bro's sheep dog outta the well, the drunken wife outta the ditch, trailers fulla animal feed, fencing, concrete blocks etc up the munros, launching the soddin' great fishing boat in and outta the loch etc etc etc, and guess wot .................

It doesn't use a drop of Coolant #Dave-is-absolutely-gobsmacked.com :ROFLMAO:

·
8,304 Posts
Red RTV is, well, it looks naff, as does blue Hylomar.

In UK we used to have the same stuff called Instant Gasket, bright orange it was so it was, and many a DIY'er would slather it everywhere :(

Stood out like a sore thumb and looked like a right cowboy had been at yer Engine ;)

Later came the light grey and black RTV, we pro's have to use it these days, take MB M112 / 3 Breathers, most MB Sumps, Sumps and Cam covers on other Marques etc etc, that is what is used when they come outta the factory, there are no Gaskets ;)

·
*Premium Member
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So no recommendation to replace the chain guides?

In addition to the valve guides and seals I'm ordering, I see "valve seat rings" shown in EPC at each valve - different sizes for intake and exhaust. Is it common to replace these during a valve job? I'm wondering if I should order them just in case.

·
*Premium Member
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's odd that EPC shows two separate options for the intake seats, A1040530221 and A1040530621, if you search for these part numbers on PelicanParts.com you'll see the price differences. Also search for A1040530132 - it shows several confusing options.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts