Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG - Silver
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally a hello,
I signed up for this forum about three years ago and ignored the various messages to update the profile, as I was only SLK curious at the time and unsure whether to get into a deeper relationship. Yesterday I finally took the plunge and started what I hope will be a long term affair with a 2005 Silver SLK55 AMG with 93K miles under her tyres. I'm based near Banbury in the UK and the new mistress joins a few other vehicular concubines in the slighly more svelte shape of an old Lotus Elan +2, a slighly younger S1 Lotus Elise, a postitively youthful F56 Mini Cooper and my partner's rather hefty WJ V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Once I have posting priveleges released, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. The SLK has no service history and so was a bit of a leap in the dark, in fact after doing the deal on a bright sunny Saturday, the collection journey home was a 135 mile return trip in both the dark, rain and at times snow! Apologies to the person tailgating me along the B4525, I thought 40 mph was fast enough given the white road and minimal tread on the rear tyres. Anyway the car made it without issues and is safely home, tucked up in the garage ready for the weekend's inspection to uncover the horrors underneath what was at first glance a bit of a bargain purchase.
More to follow. Niall

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,179 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

Great R171 info:

[URL]https://www.billsden.org/mercedes/slk/docs/#dtb[/url]

Lube those seals:

your brochure:

mods you should do:

smarttop

Since you have a 55, these might interest you
My mods - also check my albums in my profile
and my videos in the 'Driving Stories' section

Kleemann Supercharger:

Kleemann ECU Tune and Headers:

Wavetrac Limited Slip Differential (LSD):

Carbon Fiber Diffuser:

Carbon Fiber Air Brakes/Side Vents

Driving stories section:

My albums:

FREE GIFT! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). If looking for a car, get the options before you buy!

Thank you
Jeff
Administrator/Founding Member

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
784 Posts
Hi and welcome from St Augustine FL have fun and enjoy the ride

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,477 Posts
Welcome from Wirral, England.
If you are new to forums, or the format of this forum this may help.

Our forum rules:

Really useful links (thanks to ixions cataloguing)
The web site of slk-links Includes diy videos.
Spare parts: The web site of slk-links <<<Where to find part numbers

There's a link to R170/171/172's do it yourself threads below.
R170 DIYS:- SLK R170 class DIY
R171 DIYS:- SLK R171 Class DIY
R172 DIYS:- SLK R172 Class DIY

Some useful tips in this section for new Members and prospective owners.
The web site of slk-links

You can find your region by scrolling down the page on this link
This is where to find meets/events.

Look across the banner and you'll see three vertical dots.
Many questions answered there.
You'll also find the >>>FAQs<<<

Click the 5 horizontal lines near the banner.
Scroll down and you'll find a huge section of info.
Check out the tsbs. Lot's of fixes for MB recognised issues there.

·
Registered 2009 SLK55 AMG
21 Posts
Welcome from Sussex. Have the same and sure you will love it. A safer prospect than a similar mileage 996 911 😏

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,376 Posts
Welcome from just down the road in South Bucks - Be interesting to hear a comparison with Your Lotus(s), once a fresh set of tyres has been fitted & some dryer weather arrives..!! :cool:

Hopefully with plenty on regular miles on the clock, Your 55's rear sub-frame will be OK, when You give it a good check over (y)

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,078 Posts
Hi from Florida!

Congratulations!

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
11,944 Posts
Welcome from Canada 🙂

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
61 Posts
Welcome! Another 'near Banbury' owner here.

Had mine since last August, and love it, although it is a bit poorly at the moment with a failing crankshaft position sensor. Was hoping to swap it at the weekend but Storm Dennis may put a stop to that as it lives outside.

The B4525 is a brilliant road, but not in the snow! When I had my Caterham it was a regular part of my early Sunday morning blasts.

Tyres... I can highly recommend Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, which replaced some very tired PS3s (front) and Nexens (rear). Great in all weather (haven't tried snow yet though!).

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG - Silver
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcomes everybody, I'll sort some pictures out soon. Car's been safely tucked up in the garage since I brought it home on Monday and it's a bit dirty after its cross country journey. As SLK55heaven suggests, we're in for another wet and windy weekend in the UK, so it may take a little while to get the pictures together. If you need to imagine it's a silver SLK55 AMG with the 18(?) spoke alloys, the interior is black with red accents, which seems a fairly common spec for 2005 SLK55s.
Stuff to be done on the list so far
  • check rear subframe
  • check brakes, fronts are apparently newish, but i think the front rotors are now solid, not floating.
  • find out what's been done to the exhaust (I think it's a cross pipe, whatever it is it's very loud)
  • fix the non folding driver's mirror
  • give it a full service (even though the previous owner said it was done not long ago and it came with a somewhat dodgy looking receipt)
  • change the AT gearbox oil (no issues, but I think it's a 100K item)
  • Replace the archaic COMAND, probably with an Android unit with MOST interface for the HK
That'll keep me busy for a bit, but there's sure to be other items along the way.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,309 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts