Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, after having my slk55 dropped off by a recovery guy it was reversed into the floor and bent the left pipe. After seeing an exhaust guy they need to put a stainless section in to straighten it as we have already tried heating it up and bending it. While this is being done is it worth cutting out the center silence box? Will it add more low down Rev noise?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would that be for noise or flow? It wasn't offered so not sure they can do it? Would 2 straight through pipes do nothing? £120 to do it

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,438 Posts
Any exhaust fabricator worth their salt should be able to make and fit one. You could buy a prefabricated one like the Magnaflo. In theory will improve flow/performance and the sound is a massive improvement!

Look for videos on here or YouTube. Better still try to get to a meet and hear one in person.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,173 Posts
X pipe seem a little 'louder'
I have a straight pipe but also a supercharger so sound is extra special :D

see the thread on member's exhaust sounds/videos in the r171 performance mod section

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,438 Posts
It's good practice to join the flows from the two exhaust banks to increase scavenging (look it up). Your centre resonator serves this purpose and also attenuates the sound.

X-pipes are better for scavenging than H pipes common on American V8s both give different sound effects as do straight pipes.

A Magnaflow x pipe is about £80 and around £140-£250 for fitting. Guess you might be looking at an Ebay listing by CKS Performance, they are robbing b******s. :laugh:

·
94,173 Posts
Yes sir! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll say one thing about this site "bang on". Only been on it an hour and answered every question I've got. The exhaust place I use is custom pipes (Doncaster) he might havee some X sections already fabricated so could be reasonably cheap. Either way if it gives me 30% more noise I'll be happy. If not I'll get the drill out ha

·
94,173 Posts
Not tempted to go for an x-pipe?
Haven't I spent enuff money on the Beast already? :D
nah...very satisfied with the sound and when i stomp it and the sc does its thing, I can be heard a long way aways :D

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I'll say one thing about this site "bang on". Only been on it an hour and answered every question I've got. The exhaust place I use is custom pipes (Doncaster) he might havee some X sections already fabricated so could be reasonably cheap. Either way if it gives me 30% more noise I'll be happy. If not I'll get the drill out ha
Quite a few of us owners have taken out the centre resonator and secondary cats with x pipe and consider it a great success. No problems with MOT as primaries easily do the job.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,722 Posts
Hi All

The X pipe helps with pull the gases along the exhaust , Google it & your see what I mean . There is a long post on this site all about this subject .

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
735 Posts
Anyone in the UK found it necessary to declare this mod to their insurers and if so, any increase in premium?

Via Taptalk

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
^ Insurers will ask if ANY mods have been made. Failure to disclose... And I imagine they will be even stricter after the recent case of two deaths partly attributed to a modded air intake.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Anyone in the UK found it necessary to declare this mod to their insurers and if so, any increase in premium?

Via Taptalk
I declared that as a non performance mod just for sound and a couple of other cosmetic mods, increased it by £20 or so, not much.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
735 Posts
^ Insurers will ask if ANY mods have been made. Failure to disclose... And I imagine they will be even stricter after the recent case of two deaths partly attributed to a modded air intake.
Must have been some mod to be attributed! Nitrous cold air 2 stage twin turbo maybe?

Via Taptalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts