Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Red 2007 SLK 280 through leasetrader.com. Great deal if you want a short term lease at a long term lease price... no down payment... just take over the lease.

First Impressions...

Slower than my Porsche Turbo but still quick enough to be fun
Handles like a go cart... great in the twisties around San Diego.. but still smooth on the freeway.
Looks great, but really needs those really cool AMG hood fins.
Love the sound... Sounds great, especially near red line :tu:
I've had it for a week and have never driven it with the top up... gotta love San Diego weather.:cool:

Brought it home... 5 minutes later my daughter took it to the beach... next day my wife took it to "book club". Never had that problem with the Porsche.

Any meet and greets in the San Diego area?
Does anyone Autocross their SLK?

Nice to meet you all,
Bill

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome Bill. Check RacerCub who autoX his 350.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Greetings from Atlanta. How about some pics?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,417 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for hosting and licensing fees to the site. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
[SNIP...]
Does anyone Autocross their SLK?
[...SNIP]
Yeah, check out the MOTORSPORTS section. Ask me any question you like. Check out my autocrossing videos at www.youtube.com/RacerCub68

I have a hard time equating "handles like a go-kart" but having a 1,200 lbs. FIAT X1/9 will change your definition of that forever. At least, with the SLK, you don't have to go back around to pick up the bits that fell off.

I would say it handles more like a composed, angry, mini-panzer about to punt the Z4 that won't get out of the way.

Tomorrow night, Saturday, I will be mixing it up on the track with the Porsches, but this will be a High Speed Driving Event (Track Day) not the usual Autocross (that is August 29th.) The Porsche people do not Autocross in summer as it is "too hot for the tires."

I will tell you, however, while the SLK feels a bit ponderous on the autocross course, on these track days, it sure does like throwing its weight around at high speeds. The SLK feels a lot more joyous taking a curve at 60 to 80 then it does at 20 to 40.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Yeah, check out the MOTORSPORTS section. Ask me any question you like. Check out my autocrossing videos at www.youtube.com/RacerCub68

I have a hard time equating "handles like a go-kart" but having a 1,200 lbs. FIAT X1/9 will change your definition of that forever. At least, with the SLK, you don't have to go back around to pick up the bits that fell off.

I would say it handles more like a composed, angry, mini-panzer about to punt the Z4 that won't get out of the way.

Tomorrow night, Saturday, I will be mixing it up on the track with the Porsches, but this will be a High Speed Driving Event (Track Day) not the usual Autocross (that is August 29th.) The Porsche people do not Autocross in summer as it is "too hot for the tires."

I will tell you, however, while the SLK feels a bit ponderous on the autocross course, on these track days, it sure does like throwing its weight around at high speeds. The SLK feels a lot more joyous taking a curve at 60 to 80 then it does at 20 to 40.
Can't wait to hear/read how it turns out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.