Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! We have just received my wife's parents 1999 SLK 230 Sport. It's Brilliant Silver with Salsa interior. Her mom and dad bought it new in April 1999 and it has 32k miles now. It's spent its entire life in Southern California, and will be picked up by a transporter in the next month and shipped to Arkansas.

Generally, it's in good shape but will need some work. The red is peeling so I'll take the interior apart this winter and repaint it. I'll also need to fix the passenger window as it goes up too far and jams. (All solutions I've found in the forums)

I think my biggest challenge is that they have hooked the front bumper in a parking stop or curb and torn the lower bumper and I haven't been able to locate a replacement for the AMG Sport bumper. I'll do a temporary fix until I do.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,452 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,526 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, Ohio! It sounds like your 230 looked just like my 1999 230 (Lawnmower, was it's name). I don't have it anymore, but the color combination is great!

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,052 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hello! We have just received my wife's parents 1999 SLK 230 Sport. It's Brilliant Silver with Salsa interior. Her mom and dad bought it new in April 1999 and it has 32k miles now. It's spent its entire life in Southern California, and will be picked up by a transporter in the next month and shipped to Arkansas.
Welcome to the SLK World -- I'm sure you will enjoy the people here.

Wow!! 32K miles on a 1999. If they gave me that car - I'd fly out and drive it back. Having it transported would scare me - for sure use a higher end Classic Car service - with enclosed trailer.

I think my biggest challenge is that they have hooked the front bumper in a parking stop or curb and torn the lower bumper and I haven't been able to locate a replacement for the AMG Sport bumper. I'll do a temporary fix until I do.
Most good body shops can "weld" any tears in that flexible rubber like material. Then refinish to match the color.

Looking at your other cars - I'd guess that you will really enjoy your new SLK. I'm always surprised at the performance the little engine puts out.

I bought my 1999 SLK 230 Sport from its original owner with 50K miles - and was kept in very fine condition, other than a couple scuffs under that front bumper.. LOL. I hope there is a local SLK group near you -that you can enjoy the car with.

Post some pictures when you get a chance. You can see mine here:
Mecerdes Benz SLK 230 Sport

BTW - I have mine insured with the Hagerty Classic Car Insurance Co. Agreed Value at $12.5K - and very low premiums.

Carl B.
Clearwater, FL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the SLK World -- I'm sure you will enjoy the people here.

Wow!! 32K miles on a 1999. If they gave me that car - I'd fly out and drive it back. Having it transported would scare me - for sure use a higher end Classic Car service - with enclosed trailer.

Most good body shops can "weld" any tears in that flexible rubber like material. Then refinish to match the color.

Looking at your other cars - I'd guess that you will really enjoy your new SLK. I'm always surprised at the performance the little engine puts out.

I bought my 1999 SLK 230 Sport from its original owner with 50K miles - and was kept in very fine condition, other than a couple scuffs under that front bumper.. LOL. I hope there is a local SLK group near you -that you can enjoy the car with.

Post some pictures when you get a chance. You can see mine here:
Mecerdes Benz SLK 230 Sport

BTW - I have mine insured with the Hagerty Classic Car Insurance Co. Agreed Value at $12.5K - and very low premiums.

Carl B.
Clearwater, FL
Thanks Carl. I've know the car since they (We) picked it out. (I have a matching 1:18 scale model and matching Christmas tree ornament. HeHe...) I used to keep it waxed and detailed when we still lived in SoCal, but we've been gone for 8 years now. I was going to drive it home, but it will need new tires as they are 10 years old and weather cracked from smog and I really don't want to get re-acquainted with a 1,500 mile trip on old tires.

I have my Camaro and Thunderbird with Grundy and was going to put the SLK with them also, but they don't allow drivers under 25 means our daughter wouldn't be able to drive it so we will have to put it on our regular policy for a few years.

We had a Solstice GXP that had a tune kit. 300hp and 325tq from a 2.0. It was light and fast. The SLK is heavier and not as much power, but safer and has a useable trunk even with the top down (you have to see a Solstice trunk to appreciate the size of the SLK trunk).

I have some pics but it of it dirty so I'll wait until I get it home and have a chance to clean it to post any.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have my Camaro and Thunderbird with Grundy and was going to put the SLK with them also, but they don't allow drivers under 25 means our daughter wouldn't be able to drive it so we will have to put it on our regular policy for a few years.
I have a daughter under 25… and gee ... it is to bad she can't drive it. :wink: She has her own car - and the insurance on that is Killing Me!! :surprise:

I have some pics but it of it dirty so I'll wait until I get it home and have a chance to clean it to post any.
We'll be looking forward to seeing them..

FWIW,
Carl B.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts