Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

Glad i found ya! Im somewhat familiar with auto enthusiast forums as ive owned and been modifiying a mustang gt for a few years now, but i finally stepped up. Just last night (oct 31st,07) i picked up my very first mercedes benz. The funny thing is, the car i got is NOT the car i went to the dealer for. What i wanted was: a silver irridium slk350 with the amg performance pack, airscarf, and premium level1 (with the roof remote). Oh, and the interior would be ash/black. They just couldn't do it.
Instead, i now have an: 08 silver irridium slk55amg (vin wdbwk73f98f176842) with the black/red seats, ipod, airscarf, premium lv3 pack, 030 amg performance package, 319 lighting package. And holy god! wow what a car! So, my first benz is the slk amg and i gotta tell ya, im really loving life. I'm supposed to go back to the dealer tomorrow and they are going to re-detail it and explain to me how everything works.
I do have one question for you guys here though - i have a paper which i got from the dealer stating that the "delimiter is disabled, top speed 186mph option 251", everything else ive read about the 030 amg performance pack says the top speed is supposed to be 174-176mph. Whats the scoop?

Anyhow, just wanted to check in and say hello. I hope to learn a lot here and have some pleasureable times here!

-Jumper
:rockon:

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Welcome to the forum and you made a wise decision going for a 2008 030 Performance package SLK55,as the non 030 models had smaller brakes for 2008 to decrease the brake squeel.

I am not sure about option 251 but I think your car is now limited to 186mph rather than 176 mph probably, Enjoy you car, break it in nicely and drive safe.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow

Dang!

That sure was a fast reply! Thanks a lot man! I appreciated it. Maybe someone will read that #251 thing and be able to chime in.

-Jumper

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Welcome Jmjumper and congratulations on getting the well-loaded 55.

The 2008 brochure for US vehicles does state the limiter is at 174mph. Check the window sticker label and see if it is stated at all. I do vaguely recall the salesperson saying that it is 186 mph for the 030 package, he was mainly stating the added things that come with this option.

The 2 most useful mods (non-cosmetic) IMHO are: SmartTop roof module and the Green Air Filters (available from SLK store, see top row menu).

SmartTop allows you to operate the roof remotely using RF signals and clicking the key fob button 3x, and also roof operation while car is in motion.

Green Air Filters gives you a tad more in terms of horsepower and torque but most of all gives you an extra 2 mpg in fuel economy. Link: http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/4034-so-what-green-filter-worth-powerwise-find-out-inside.html

·
19,400 Posts
Don't forget to post photos. Would love to see Iridium Silver with the black/red interior.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Excellent model choice, color combination, and option list. I love the black & red interior. Welcome and enjoy your new SLK 55. You WON'T be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Welcome Jumper! Nice backup plan on the new car! :D Used to have a Mustang GT myself, among other rwd domestic performance cars. The SLK55 is a lot like those IMO - stuff a big engine in a small car, keep it rwd, and go have fun!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
i think in the long run youll be glad you got the 030 package, because its rarer.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Nice, red/black two tone interior looks fantastic, can't wait to see pics, and welcome to the forum :tu:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Greetings from Atlanta! Good choice with the 55, you'll love it.:tu:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys -

I'll try and get some photos up soon. According to the window sticker under the "Optional equipment and value added packages" it lists : 030 AMG Performance Package : AMG 18" Multipiece Wheels, Compound Brakes, Nurburgring Suspension, Carbon Fiber Trim, Leather and Alcantara steering wheel, 174mph top speed. So, I'm guessing maybe no on the 186mph. At any rate, thats too fast for probably anything other than a big oval track.
Yeah, about that whole "break in" thing...I guess I better watch it - at least until I put the first 1k on it.
Etyu - you mentioned something about a "smart key" or similar named mod. Is this the remote activation that I already have (standing outside the car) or is it something additional? It was my understanding that you could not activate the roof mechanism while in motion.
Thx.
-Jumper

·
Registered
460 Posts
Welcome from New York..Best of luck with that great new ride and enjoy the forum, lots of very informative people here.:usa:

·
19,400 Posts
... Etyu - you mentioned something about a "smart key" or similar named mod. Is this the remote activation that I already have (standing outside the car) or is it something additional? It was my understanding that you could not activate the roof mechanism while in motion.
Thx.
-Jumper
This is an aftermarket module (SmartTop from mods4cars.com). This is installed in the driver side wire harness/loop channel and is connected in series to one of the CANBUS.

Click 3x on the lock or unlock button on the SmartKey and the roof closes or retracts remotely. No need to stand and aim at the IR sensor on the door handle. It also allows one-click operation from inside the car using the center console control lever, instead of press and hold. It also allows roof operation up to 30 mph. Do a search in this forum on roof module. :)

(I am not connected in any way with the makers/resellers of SmartTop).

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Jmjumper - most here will agree that the SmartTop module is a great addition to the SLK. It's fairly inexpensive and can be self installed. One of the programmable features that I like best is the beep on lock and unlock.

·
19,400 Posts
:tu:Jmjumper - most here will agree that the SmartTop module is a great addition to the SLK. It's fairly inexpensive and can be self installed. One of the programmable features that I like best is the beep on lock and unlock.
On the 2006 SLK 280 the car does not beep on lock or unlock; however, on the 2008 SLK 55, the beep on lock/unlock feature is present (with or without the SmartTop roof module), i.e., one beep on unlock and 3 beeps on lock.

·
19,400 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.