Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With much dread, after reading all the comments aboutproblems created by trying to do anything electrical on MB vehicles, and nothaving any real knowledge of electronics, I disregarded all the warnings andjust went for it. Mind you, if I can do this, I am sure most anyone can.
I was going to do a post in the DIY section, but I haveproblems getting the pictures to download where and when I want them to, so I amjust giving you an idea. If anyone has a specific question, I will do what Ican to help.
First of all, my Kompressor, needed the body of the mirrorsreplaced. Since I decided to do this, I upgraded to the newer style arrowmirrors, and while I was at it decided to go with puddle lights which mine lacked.
I found guagetuner on E-bay, (which I ran across on someother forum), and for under $200 was able to get a set, and by giving them thecolor code with the order they were color matched for me at the same price.
I removed the original mirrors, the door panels, the frontpillar post covers, the overhead cover along with the dome light assemble, thedoor sill covers and finally the kick panels on each side.
Not having puddle lights on the car originally, meant I hadto determine a way to wire puddle lights into the system. I determined thatthere should be a way to wire into the dome light, so they would go on with thefob, or opening the door, and fade out after 30 seconds like the dome lightdoes.
I ran a set of leads from both puddle lights, fishing themthrough the wiring boot in each door, from the kick panels up to the pillars,and across the front top to the wiring for the dome light. I then soldered the leadsfrom each light together to make one continuous loop. Then I splice this loopinto the wires that went into the plug, using wire #3 as ground, and wire #4 aspositive (my dome light plug used ports 1-4 only on the plug).
When I tested it by opening the doors it would fade out, itwould only go on and after 5 minutes the battery protection shut it and thedome light off. So before I gave up, I tried mounting the dome light back tothe roof with the two screws, and that solved everything. Don’t ask me why, orhow, because I do not see any way the screw act as a ground because the entirehousing is plastic, but I really didn’t care, I just know it works.
I buttoned up all the covers, checked again, and am ready toroll. One thing I did run into was the BAS ESP warning light stayed on, but Ifound in the forums that if you start the car and turn the wheels lock to lock,it resets it. I tried it, it worked, and nothing is smoking on the car, so allis good.
I will try to get as many pics in as I can figure out.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great work. Any chance of a PIC of those mirrors on the car from a distance? Interested to see how they look overall compared to the old ones.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since the wire from the dome light is very light gauge, (probably 18g), I used some color coded speaker wire I had. Speaker wire, by design has very little resistance, and since I had it, I used it. Like I said, I am not a mechanic or that knowledgeable about electronics, but I can think things through, and have generally been able to get to the end result I want.
Keep in mind, I was told by the MB dealer, and have even seen on some forums, that the "brain" would misinterpret the splice as a short. I found that not to be true. I was also told, again by the dealer, that if I pulled the fiber optics of the head unit when I replaced it, that the "network" in the car would have issues. I called the company that distributes and builds the set up, Becker Auto Sound, and found that not to be true.
So I guess the best advice I can give you, is to do a "mock" set up the way I did. I connected the wires to the mirrors, didn't run them until I hooked them up to the light, and once I verified they would work, tore everything apart and routed them. Two things I might mention here: to test if a splice would work, I put a stick pins through each of the wires I was going to splice into, and using jumpers connected to the pins, and to the puddle lights, I tested the connections this way first. This eliminates any exposure of the wires that would have to be patched. Secondly, I found in my case that the lights would fade until I screwed the dome light back into its' mounting, then it all tested out fine. I don't know why it needed this, since the entire body is plastic, with no metal grounds, but it did, and it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you! i purchased the same mirrors for my 2001 slk 320 and went to swap out the OEM mirrors and then got scared as electrical is not my forte and I usually avoid doing any of that myself. I will try your technique, Fingers Crossed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts