Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just browsing the Internet for no particular reason and came across some door mirror sequential (dynamic) indicator replacement.
They weren't very expensive (£20ish) so I purchased a pair.

I removed the whole mirror body because it's a bit cold now and I can spend the time inside in the warm. I had read that the new indicators didn't come with a gasket and I waited to see and compare the original and new. I have now ordered some single sided foam 3mm thick, similar to the original.

⭐Warning to all R171 owners⭐
Under the plastic triangular piece that surrounds the mirror the door paint is rubbed. This rubbing wears through the paint and rust starts to eat away atvthe top of the door. The driver's side (right) was the worst. I am tackling the rust and then I will put some PPF over the repair to protect it in the future. See photos

I have attached a couple of photos of the new indicators in place in the housing without the gasket. Once mounted I will update with more photos etc.

Cheers
Russ
Electric blue Synthetic rubber Natural material Fashion accessory Composite material

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tire Wood

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Rim

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Step two
I have just received the 3mm thick single sided foam. I cut it into strips and applied in 3 sections for ease of application. As mentioned I didn't want to potentially destroy the original foam gasket.
I still need to fix the small mounting lugs which have broken off during disassembly, this looks to be a common problem as all the second hand ones have this lug missing. I lost one but have made a new one with Plastex.
I will update later as it's "chucking it down" (heavy rain) here and I'm not desperate to get them done. :D
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Sports equipment Tread

Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Hood Musical instrument accessory Automotive lighting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts