Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all here.
I am based in Ireland and am very close to purchasing a new 200 SLK Auto.
I currently drive an Audi A4 Cabriolet.
I was wondering what is the SLK like to use as an everyday car ie fuel consumption etc .
The main reason I am considering purchasing a new one as it seems great value for money at the present time.
The car I am close to purchasing has Black Leather Seating , 17 " Alloys , Parktronic , Remote roof operation .
All of the above are standard on the car I am looking at and it can be bought for 46K Euro thats almsot 12k off the current list price.
The salesman told me thats its simply that in these recessioanry times they still cant sell them .
Hopefully it will work out well and I wil be a regular member here.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,456 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location info in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale.
usercp, edit your details, location.

If you have not, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you have not, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for security updates and repairs to the site. Any amount is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Welcome from today's unbearably hot AZ:)

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Welcome from England - the real question is "can you live with a 2 seater as your daily ride". I find that 80% of the time the '55 is fine for the wife and I, but I did end up hanging on to my C series so I'd have something with more room in the boot and could carry an extra person or 2.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome from NE England - from my experience of roads in Eire (my Mum was from Kerry), I'd keep off low profile tyres and sports suspension!! Also, the 'Remote Roof Operation' is a waste of time - when you get the car, get a SmartTop module from SLK STORE.com

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

We bought our SLK200 a year ago and have averaged 31 mpg over 11,500 miles. We also went to Le mans this year and got a tent, airbed, sleeping bags, change of clothes, coats, walking boots in the boot, AND got the roof down (just). If we wanted the roof down, then the camera bag had to go under the passenger's knees, but that wasn't a problem. With the roof up, everything went in the boot with no problem.

We had a test drive in a 200 auto, which confirmed our decision to get the 200, but with a manual 'box. The stopwatch says that there is not much difference between the auto and manual versions. However, I think the driving experience in the manual is better and strongly recommend you try a manual verson unless you really want/need an auto.

As for day-to-day, we use ours most days and still think it's a great car. My wife took it in for service this week, got a B-Class as a courtesy car and hated it. No brakes, no steering, no acceleration :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply and being so welcoming.
Lots of helpful information there.
Firstly we have a second more practical car in the family which of course addresses the more practical things in every day life.
Thats one good thing about the A4 Cabriolet its a full 4 seater when required but with a pretty decent sized boot too.
Woolly please forgive my basic lack of knowledge but whats a " Smart Top Module " and why is it preferable to the Remote operation the car already has. Also your right about the roads here , main roads have improved a lot in recent times but in many parts of the country side roads are still quite poor.
Finally the car I have almost bought is a Flame Red Opal colour with Black Leather interior.
Its also nice to see that this appears to be a Worldwide site too.
Thanks Again .

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,456 Posts
Please update your location info in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale.
usercp, edit your details, location.

ty

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Woolly please forgive my basic lack of knowledge but whats a " Smart Top Module " and why is it preferable to the Remote operation the car already has.
The factory option Remote Roof requires you to stand about 3 feet from your door handle, pointing a key at the receptor and wait for 22 seconds - doesn't sound like a long time, but if you move slightly, it resets, and you have to start again. The 'SmartTop' uses RF, not IR, you can sit in a pub, press the button 3 times, and your roof will automatically go up/down - bout 20 mins to fit, and THE best mod to do. If you get stuck, gizza shout, and I'll come over to fit it for you - just an excuse to get back there!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The factory option Remote Roof requires you to stand about 3 feet from your door handle, pointing a key at the receptor and wait for 22 seconds - doesn't sound like a long time, but if you move slightly, it resets, and you have to start again. The 'SmartTop' uses RF, not IR, you can sit in a pub, press the button 3 times, and your roof will automatically go up/down - bout 20 mins to fit, and THE best mod to do. If you get stuck, gizza shout, and I'll come over to fit it for you - just an excuse to get back there!!
Thanks Woolly for taking time to reply sounds quite a useful mod to undertake at some point.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome Autofan from California.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.