Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum, but I am the original owner of one of the oldest SLKs. I bought the car a year before they were released and was shipped mine in August 1997. Before it arrived, Mercedes sent me a Charter SLK owner Key Ring and a Christmas ornament in exactly my colors (silver/salsa interior) for Christmas 1996. The car is, obviously, now 14 years old and has 168,000 miles. It has been by sole car for the last 10 years and only had two major problems in all. A supercharger bearing went out about 5 years ago and I a chip in the major computer that governed turn signals, hazard lights, rear window defroster went costing over $1,000 to replace. The car now seems to be having a spate of small problems -- A/C fan stopped 2 days ago, light burned out on the A/C fan speed control knob -- and I am going to try to fix these things myself (former Aero & Astro engineer who should probably know better).

I am thinking about the new SLK, but don't like any of the exterior colors they offer -- Outside of black, white and red, MB seems to think that everyone wants a shade of silver or gray. I would like some of the old 280 SL colors -- e.g. light metallic blue or green. The cost is also getting high relative to alternatives. Anyway, glad to be here. By the way, I am 65, so I am one of the old guys, although I was a lot younger when I bought the car.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,496 Posts
Welcome old man (i am 58),

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Greetings from Tennessee !

Great to have you on board ! Good to hear about the reliability of your original SLK !

You have plenty of choices to "upgrade". I went for the '05-'06 R171 models due to their preceived reliability and how much I was willing to spend. However I'm sure that there are jewels out there to match whatever price point you have. The fun is in the chase !

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Reactions: jbanks15

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome from southern California.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
I just joined the forum, but I am the original owner of one of the oldest SLKs. I bought the car a year before they were released and was shipped mine in August 1997.. By the way, I am 65, so I am one of the old guys, although I was a lot younger when I bought the car.
:tu:Welcome from Virginia. WOW, that had to be exciting to be one of the first SLK owners. I loved the R170 when it first came out. You have to be the SLK equivalent of the "guy who knows everything about computers".... There's a handful of us here in your peer group.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Welcome from Eugene, Oregon via San Diego, California!
Glade to finely have a real ‘Rocked Scientist’ on board :)

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,529 Posts
Welcome aboard

heres the fix for your a/c light http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/R170HeaterDashLight
using a small screwdriver and a soft cloth between the chrome ring to pry the control knob off
the picture in the link shows the bulb behind a small metal flap that covers the bulb
you must push the flap out of the way and pull the bulb out (not easy)
the bulb is Sylvania #2721

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan via Dallas Texas.......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts