Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered 2005 SLK350
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've done a lot research on the site before I finally joined.
There's some amazing information on here I'm happy to be a new member and also to own a Mercedes.
A few weeks back I purchased a low mileage 2005 SLK350. 37,000 km to be exact.

Probably too late, but hopefully someone can point out problems I should be looking out for in a car that age.
From the forums here I've replaced the Cam Shaft Ignition Plugs (at least I think that's correct).
Not too sure how to check if my particular vehicle has that dreaded engine problem I've read about.

Otherwise, the car looks and runs great. Inside it's like brand new.
Looks like my driver's heated seat is busted but the passengers works fine.
I don't think the air conditioning works either but not sure what I should be looking for there.

Anyway, will add a few pics and look forward to getting to know some of you.

cheers from Vancouver.
IMG_3289.JPG

Super Moderator 2006 SLK 280
馃憢 Welcome to SLKWorld.com from Northern California

馃憠List of Useful SLK Links

slk-links.neocities.org

馃憠FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.

Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
Welcome from Wirral, England.

If you are new to forums, or the format of this forum, this may help.

Our forum rules:

Really useful links (thanks to ixions cataloguing)
The web site of slk-links Includes diy videos.
Spare parts: The web site of slk-links <<<Where to find part numbers

There's a link to R170/171/172's do it yourself threads below.
R170 DIYS:- SLK R170 class DIY
R171 DIYS:- SLK R171 Class DIY
R172 DIYS:- SLK R172 Class DIY

Some useful tips in this section for new Members and prospective owners.
>>>Link to new owner guides<<<

You can find your region by scrolling down the page on this link
This is where to find meets/events.

Look across the banner and you'll see three vertical dots.
Many questions answered there.
You'll also find the >>>FAQs<<<

Click the 5 horizontal lines near the banner.
Scroll down and you'll find a huge section of info.

Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
Even though it is meant as a pre buy guide, the checklist is worth doing.
Include rear subframe as some conditions cause rot.

Inspection check list (Also add datacard list to this):

Sluggish test drive:

Roof and drains tlc:

Best modification:

Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
Hi, welcome from Barrhead, Scotland. 馃槃

Banned
Hello all. I've done a lot research on the site before I finally joined.
There's some amazing information on here I'm happy to be a new member and also to own a Mercedes.
A few weeks back I purchased a low mileage 2005 SLK350. 37,000 km to be exact.

Probably too late, but hopefully someone can point out problems I should be looking out for in a car that age.
From the forums here I've replaced the Cam Shaft Ignition Plugs (at least I think that's correct).
Not too sure how to check if my particular vehicle has that dreaded engine problem I've read about.

Otherwise, the car looks and runs great. Inside it's like brand new.
Looks like my driver's heated seat is busted but the passengers works fine.
I don't think the air conditioning works either but not sure what I should be looking for there.

Anyway, will add a few pics and look forward to getting to know some of you.

cheers from Vancouver. View attachment 579704 View attachment 579705 View attachment 579706

welcome brother, im basically in the same boat as you!!. only different location. i was about the buy the exact sayme car at a different dealership, red interior just like that and everything. But that ones mileage was not so low, and i think the price was even higher.

I didnt do any research and ive explained from the gate, in my introduction last week, that i joined immedia06tely , because i bought mine for the same reasons, before this and still am , im an Audii head , had 3 A4s prior to this , my first MB. i looked at a few C class and E classes, they had on the lot and almost settled on the E class. it was around 50k , very clean, i didnt do the carfax history, like i did on the one i settleted for at the other dealer, but i almost had this exact identical car haha. I got a 2006 SLK 350 , Silver, with, damn i think we might have even had the same mileage almost to the decimal points. 37 and something was on mine a few weeks ago when i bought it. Now, since i bought it , ive had a few problems. One that you mentioned right away, which is my biggest issue now that i got the basic stuff out of the way, is this cam shit sensor. your in canada , idk it seems like they sent a different version of this car out to every country or timezone of the world, with some of the qwerks and weird things ive read , with the experienced owners on here. My check engine is still on, after i brought it back to the dealer . i bought it as -is but they still gave me a 30 day anything ENG/Transmission involved issue coverage. Cam shift sensor being involved with the engine. so i took it to their "mechanic" 3 hours later he calls me up to come back, shows me a faulty oily , dirty cam sensor, said this one was the faulty one, and should be smooth sailing. but i even asked him, well should i be expecting if one just went or has went, will the others be failing soon? and he basically gave me just a fly by answer, more or less could be or could not. they were crazy unprofessional and i felt like i should have stayed and literally watched him do the job. Bc im not sure if they even did anything.

50 miles or whatever regular system reset, my CHEK ENG came on AGAIN. i told the guy , AGAIN, and ive been procrastinating bringin it in all week, ive been sick with leg infection from a cut, we made this fix by appointment, and he assured me it would get handled. so now i dont know what this guy did , far as the cam sensor, but when i hook it up to a standard OCD. (non MB specific) code reader, i still just get the P0014 code for the cam shift sensor fault. so if he were to do his job correctly, and what i was covered for, he should have replaced ALL of my cam sensors. which now im feeling like he did NOTHING and just put a reset and told me to keep it moving, or replaced only one, and probablly with one that wasant even brand new. im not familiar with under the benz hood, or mechaniclly inclined at all, i can clean em good, change my oil, and handle basic stuff. Like my stock radio, that was REPAIRED thank fully for 450$. MB wanted 1800$ in my area to order a new STOCK head radio. and i dont even think that included installlation , which is SIMPLE all you need is a T 20 screwdriver, two hands and pop and plug some plugs. the rest handles itself. BUT be WEARY of this , because from the place that fixed my stock unit and save me a HEAP of money. my usual after market place , who is usually good on prices and fair, told me 1100 MIN. for a touchscreen din unit. or 650 for a single din unit, a basic 20$ pioneer radio at that. with just an aux, radio, and bluetooth. But DO NOT USE YOUR CUP HOLDERS. the way it was designed, and you can even see it easily when you take apart the center unit/ head unit. that the top of the stock head unit has ALL its vital pieces with NO protection, all at an ODD angle. that will GUARENTEE to drip drop down on a hot day , right on top of your stock unit and youll have to get it repaired. and if it hits the wrong module or enuff fluid gets on it, it will NOT be reparable and far as i did on reasearch, this particular stock unit is a pain in the azz to find, and if you do, they are not cheap. 700$ was the cheapest i found on my researches in case i had to ultimatley buy a new one, and it was all kinds of chipped up on the buttons, dinged up in the pictures, so i can imagine how raggedy it would have came out looking after shipped. So, if you dont have radio issues now, just now that the cup holder is almost literally a set up for radio issues. if you NEED your cupholders or NEED to have a drink in your car or are gung ho about just not using it at all. i would create some kind of makeshift protection . take the head unit apart. Really is not hard at all. just gureling bc you have to start from the bottom and work up to the top, taking out every piece from your shifter and cover, cig lighter, ac command and buttosns, and all the way up to the cup holders. But definetly, if you enjoy music while driving, (absolute nessecary for me) , take head and protect your head unit its worth the hour or so job and replacement. So heads up on that.

question is that SRS light on constantly while running? or just on your start up for a few seconds? my check has been coming on and off , so i know it probally is the faulty cam sensors , and this dude just didnt replace anything or didnt , do what he was supposed to do, or left the rest of them there like that. my question is how bad is it to drive, with this on? I dont even wanna go back to them , i know theyre gonna give me BS about my warranty being past mileage now and its gonna get us into an ugly situation. BC i left the dealer 2 weeks ago assured it would be taken care of and i feel like all i got was a reset, and shown an old cam sensor, maybe just one they had laying around the shop. my car, yesterday, actually did completley STALLED OUT, and power everything went out along with it, till i rolled into the side of the road. Restarted the car, and it ran fine. drove it about 2 hours today and no stalling. but im debating on spending the money to go to a certified dealer for this, or an indie dealer with more honesty and order the parts myself, the 4 cam sensors are not expensive.... i dont want to turn a cheap easy issue into something that can really mess with my engine, and after those 2 stall outs im feeling like can.

Attachments

Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

balance shaft issue

Great R171 info:

Lube those seals:

your brochure:
Mercedes Brochure Archive

mods you should do:
smarttop

clear side markers
shorty antenna
led license plate bulbs
led parking lights
carbon fiber on the C pillars I've taken the CF Plunge...
oem windscreen or lighted/etched windscreen

My mods - See my signature block links below - also check my albums in my profile and my videos in the 'Driving Stories' section

FREE GIFT! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). If looking for a car, get the options before you buy!

FREE!! How to get a free datacard!

Thank you
Jeff
Administrator/Founding Member

Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
Welcome from Ontario 馃槃

Premium Member 2009 SLK350
Welcome from Portland, Oregon. Enjoy the forum and the top down driving.

Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
Hi from Florida and welcome to the forum!

Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts