Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am a bit of a car newbie (in the UK) and fancy a SLK R171. I have a budget of up to £6500.

Can anyone offer some advice on what I might be able to (reasonably) get for my money and what warning signs to look for in terms of avoiding buying a lemon?

I only passed my test a couple of months ago (I have managed to get to my mid-life without driving). I know very little about cars and do fear getting ripped-off.

Any helpful advice would be gratefully received (am I better going for a newer more sensible car for example?).

Thanks.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,244 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

owner's and maintenance manuals great R171 info:

later year owner's/maintenance/comand manuals, top right in the link below:
Bill's Den: Documents

Lube those seals:
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/20937-spring-here~gummi-pflege-lube-your-seals-lithium-grease-your-joints-hinges.html#post226839

your brochure:
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/167265-mercedes-brochure-archive.html#post1511249

mods you should do:
smarttop

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

clear or tinted side markers
shorty antenna
led license plate bulbs
led parking lights
carbon fiber on the C pillars http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/50849-ive-taken-cf-plunge.html
carbon fiber center caps
oem windscreen or lighted/etched windscreen

See my mod albums for more ideas

FREE GIFT! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). If looking for a car, get the options before you buy!

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
94,244 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking for a SLK - yes I am looking for an R171. Looking on Autotrader it seems that for my budget I am looking at cars from 2005 and 2006 and either a SLK 200 or a SLK 280. I want to avoid going into the £500 car tax bracket if I can.

·
94,244 Posts
see my post above yours reference getting your free datacards when you find something that interests you

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,335 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
11,992 Posts
Welcome from Canada :grin:

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,294 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,578 Posts
Welcome from the Wirral.

Have you got an insurance quote for each of those models?
As you are on a limited budget this might be an issue.
Test drive on of each model before you commit to buying any.
You are bound to enjoy the first one you get into. Ignore that feeling and go and drive another.
Which was better? You're starting to get a feel for the differences not only between engines,
but between the same model with different history.

Don't be driven by the bigger is better theory.
You are new to driving a car. The 200 may be exactly what you need.

Make sure you get the datacard before you agree to buy.
None MB dealers often quote fully loaded or fully spec'd when this is not the case.

Do not panic buy.
You miss out on a couple, then see a nice shiny car and jump in eyes wide shut.
The balance shaft issue is one to be absolutely sure on.
If it is missed and fails it is very expensive.

Get underneath (not easy on low cars so take an old towel to lie on). Use a torch and mirror.
Check for rust, check the insides of the alloys for cracks, check the exhaust.
Last thing you want is to spend your budget and find that you need new tyres, exhaust and such.

If you find a friendly local with a code reader (DAS) get them to read the car before you buy.
This can uncover hidden (to the eye) faults.

When you read the negatives remember that people come here to find the cure for problems.
It can look like SLKs are fault ridden.
Only a few come here to share the good side.
Like in a shop, folks are quick to complain, less so to praise.

Make sure that you test the roof. Problems can range from easy to complex to fix.
If the car seems rattley when you drive, pop the roof down.
If it is quieter a simple clean and lube of the seals can fix this.
But it makes a great bargaining chip 'It's a bit noisey, I'm worried about that'
NOT 'It's okay, I know what that is'.

If you take your time buying and do the checks you will find a good car.
If you rush in.... you may get lucky, or maybe not.

There's plenty of UK members Manchester and NE. Maybe arrange to meet up with a couple for coffee
in the New Year. They can show you their cars and demonstrate some of the pitfalls.

Good luck with your hunt.

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,769 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a foggy Surrey this morning!

There's good advice here already, but, if I may add - do you know someone who knows cars (maybe even SLKs) to go with you when you look? It's sometimes good to 'confer' about an issue on a car when buying. Two people facing a seller will tend to make them watch what they say - particularly if they get to realise that you're maybe a car novice. (I'm sorry if this sounds patronising - it's not meant to!) Also, please be warned. Even the base model SLKs are pretty peppy. If you've not much driving experience or you're only used to smaller cars you may find SLKs are a bit of a handful so be careful!

But - best of all - It's an exciting adventure - and you should have plenty of choice. Now is also a good time to buy as no-one wants a sports convertible in the winter! :grin:

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Savcom

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us and posting an intro! :)

If you're happy to consider something with a higher mileage, you could even afford a 2007 SLK 350...

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-cars-sale/403642-slk-350-amg-body-kit-sale.html

:D

Jpex1 welcome !

The car in the link is my car I have for sale. All bases have been covered with the car. No mechanical issues runs and drives perfectly. Please feel free to contact me. Can not recommend it enough for you to come and have a look at it. You will need to spend a lot more to get anything considerably better.

Cheers,

Olly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts