Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have recently purchased a 2012 black SLK 250CDI with the AMG body kit. Really loving the car, such a nice drive but so far I think the technology in the car is rubbish. I have a few questions which I hope you can can help me answer. I have done some Googling so I have some idea to each answer but I would like to hear your thoughts.

1. I want to get Sat Nav for those rare times when I'm lost but I'm thinking even if I purchase the Becker Map Pilot module I will just be disappointed so I was wondering if anyone has replaced there in car computer with Apple' CarPlay (FYI I am an Apple w hore :laugh:)? (My car has the Becker Map Pilot pre-wired)
  2. Can the settings on the screen behind the steering wheel be changed? i.e. the electronic speedo below the line is in kmph which is useless in England. And also the MPG bar thing ends at 40MPG which I seem to exceed a lot, I wonder if this can be made to a larger value
  3. Can the Eco button be turned off as default? Start/Stop is annoying 90% of the time in an automatic
  4. I am keen on getting SmartTOP, I will need to find a garage that will fit this for me as I'm useless with cars.
  5. I have looked at the thread of getting the illuminated star, it looks cool haha. Does anyone have this and if so is it worth it?

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,297 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,297 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,454 Posts
Welcome from Washington, DC.

I don't know about Becker Map Pilot as I have the standard Nav and am very satisfied with it. I'm actually very happy with the technology in general in the SLK but this is the first car I've had with so much tech. There are threads of folks replacing the head unit with something that supports Android Auto or Apple CarPlay and I'm sure others will chime in.

You can change some of the settings such as kmph/mph but I don't think the values for the fuel graph value can be changed.

I see Jeff posted the recent illuminated star thread; it looks interesting...

Only two words for SmartTop: Get it! You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all!

DCLocal, I thought Becker Map Pilot was the standard Nav? I'm guessing you have the COMAND that I've read vaguely about. Maybe that one is better than the one that came with my car?

·
Premium Member 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
15,230 Posts
Welcome from central Florida, USA!

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Hi and welcome from Kent.
I have the exact same model and year as you, 2012 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport. I purchased the Becker Map Pilot and have to say it's pefectly fine. Easy to use and update. It's not failed me so far.

Eco cannot be disabled by default. I found it annoying also, but quickly got into the habit of switching it off as part of my 'start up' procedure. Don't even think about it anymore!

You can change kph to mph. It's in the manual, but can't remember the procedure right now.
You can't change the range of the display as far as I am aware.

Re Smart Top. I purchased it and on a whim at the weekend decided to have a go at fitting it. Took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to install start to finish, including testing at the end of the install. Not a hard job. Just be methodical and pay attention to the instructions and you will be fine. Hardest part was getting all the new loom to stow nicely in the restricted space of the rollover compartment/headrest.

The illuminated star is nice and defo my next purchase I think. :)

Regards
Nick

Reactions: gamgoumy

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,535 Posts
Hi and welcome from the UK Midlands! :)

I have an R171, so can't help with your R172-specific questions... SmartTop is something that I'd highly recommend though (as most people on this forum do too)! :D

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
16,988 Posts
Hi, welcome from the North of Scotland. :smile:

Be smart and fit the SmartTop :D

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
13,771 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

I liked your introduction ideas & questions!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.