Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from New Zealand,

My wife has been driving a Silver R170 SLK230 (1998) for about 7 1/2 years, so I've been a "lurker" on this forum for some time. Reference to this forum helped solve both the airflow meter and solenoid board problems which struck late last year.

The car is running well again, but the time is coming for an update and the "boss" wants a Red one! Late last year we started looking for a Red R171 SLK350, but Red ones are pure "unobtanium" in this country. Taking stock of what's available (and what we can afford) our search has expanded to include the R172 Slk200, more expensive than our original plans, but much more readily available (in Red). I'll post details once we find the car, probably a couple of months away.

If it was to be my car, the colour would be less important than engine choice, but I can say that because the Blue (my first choice) Jag XJ8 I drive almost found me....

David Roberts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,151 Posts
Hi David,

Welcome from Wirral, England.

We have a free to enter monthly competition.
Entry is open from the 1st to the 15th of every month. You simply post a reply with 3 photos.
After the 15th we usually open a poll for members to vote on their favourite.
Here's the main thread:
ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

This month's entries: Share the love and cast your vote here:
http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/416114-vote-here-february-2017-slkworld-com-ride-month.html

Really useful links (thanks to ixions cataloguing)
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/354330-links-toparts-assemblies-technical-data-locations-parts-slks.html

Southern hemisphere regionals:
Australia/New Zealand - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Enjoy the hunt.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
15,127 Posts
Hi David, welcome from Barrhead, Scotland. :smile:

One of our mods will be along shortly to officially welcome you but in the mean time here are some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,405 Posts
Hi David, and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us and posting an intro! :)

Before you commit to red (if you, or your wife, haven't already done so), please check out this thread:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r172-general-discussion/294489-paint-issues.html
I don't know whether it's an issue in NZ, but I at least wanted you to be aware...

Some great R171 info, including Owner’s/Maintenance/COMAND manuals, etc. (although I realise you may now be moving to an R172):
Download MB car brochures:
Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
  • Post your VIN (or VIN of a car you're looking at) in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on the car).
    FREE!! How to get a free data card!
  • If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
  • If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
  • Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If iPhone/iPad pics, you can only attach 1 pic per post this way as iOS names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
  • Want to 'like' or 'thank' someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any individual’s post that you like. This saves you having to comment.
  • New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link in the info bar towards the top of the screen is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
  • Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum
  • Finally, the Picture of the Day section is guaranteed to have something to make you smile each weekday morning!
Thank you
Dave

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,374 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,051 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,823 Posts
Welcome from Canada David :grin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to you all for the welcome. Just like the (dare I say it) Jaguar Forum I subscribe to, there are a whole lot of friendly people here with lots of useful information and experience to share.

As for the warnings about Red paint, I must admit to being a little nervous. I was likewise nervous about Jaguar air suspension and electrics before buying my 2006 XJ8 four years ago, but so far its been plain sailing. My wife's R170 was totally reliable until letting us down electrically late last year (see my original post) but all is running just fine now. In the R170 the plastics and interior paint are as poor as frequently described. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't I guess. Is the "red paint issue" like Russian roulette with a bullet in one chamber, or (like the interior paint on the R170) Russian roulette with bullets in all 6 chambers?

We'll see if common sense (me) or emotion (my wife wants a RED car) wins out in the end.
(Common sense, a Jaguar...... REALLY???).

Cheers,

David Roberts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, we've done it!

We are now a 2 Merc family.
We've added a 2014 SLK 200 R172 to the stable. As required by the "Boss", it's RED!

I'm now allowed to drive the old one...

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,374 Posts
Not too late to enter June ROTM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts