Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the welcome and for the wonderful virtual space in which to congregate to learn and to share information regarding these beautiful steeds.

I'm ex-Navy. I did 9 years as a Sonar Tech and was stationed in San Diego the entire time. Had a '67 Austin Healey Sprite and a Honda Goldwing Interstate for commuting and weekend getaways.

After I got out of the Navy, we (wife and 3 kids) moved to Syracuse, NY for 6 years. The convertible season is pretty short there. While digging my Bertone out of the snow during the last of the 6 winters, I/we decided it was time to come home to Oregon.

I'm currently a network engineer for a mid-sized regional bank. I get to go out to the branches occasionally to replace or upgrade the equipment and almost always drive my own car. My boss thinks it's for the mileage re-reimbursement but it's really more for the fun of driving in this beautiful state.

Besides the previously mentioned Sprite and Goldwing, in the past I've owned a Ford Pinto, Mercury Comet, Fiat X/1-9 Bertone (therefor my forum handle), Renault LeCar, Subaru XT-6, VW New Beetle, Toyota MR2 Spyder, 3 mopeds, Yamaha XS-400, Honda Goldwing Interstate. Also in the family we have had various Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth/Chevy mini-vans and a sedan or 2 now and then. As you can see, I'm not real loyal to any particular brand. :smile: It's more about the drive.

A couple of years ago, my wife mentioned that since the kids are all moved out, she was tired of having to drive a mini-van all the time. So I bought a 2001 SL500 for her. She's still in love with it. Three days later, I bought myself a Z3 and sold my MR2 Spyder. I miss that one.

I've recently traded in my Impala Brown '01 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5i for a black '05 SLK350 (or is it SLK 350 or SLK-350?). I was mostly looking for a convertible with the retractable hard top for security and noise reasons and this seems to fit the bill nicely. Of course the MB reputation for quality didn't hurt at all. A bit more power and a lot more comfortable. Now that I've got it home, I'm reading more about the little quirks of these beautiful pieces of machinery. The whole balance shaft/sprocket issue seems to be the major issue, so I'm researching whether mine is susceptible and whether it's already been repaired. VIN is WDBWK56FX5F045110.

I live in the West side of the Willamette Valley in Oregon, USA and have a 15 mile commute with occasional business trips to the coast or the high desert of Central Oregon. I'm really looking forward to the roll-out of the next network upgrade we will need to accomplish at our scattered sites.

Thanks for all the contributions to this site. I look forward to learning more about the SLK and doing as much of the upkeep and maintenance work as I can.

Jerry
'05 SLK350
Unadulterated... so far

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,
Welcome to the forum nice looking car.
I am network/software engineer on the coast. Nice to see another Oregonian and fellow engineer.
These cars are fun fun fun

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Hi Jerry, and welcome from the UK Midlands! :)

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
18,437 Posts
Welcome from Portland/Clackamas, Oregon. If you enjoy meeting up with others for drives/meets, check out the Beaver State SLK's by going to Tools, then Quick Links, and lastly Social Groups. Also check out the SLK NW Group under the clubs section of the forum. They are a very active group located in the Seattle area, and have had several drives that bring them down our way. Enjoy the forum and the top down driving.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,789 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,
Welcome to the forum nice looking car.
I am network/software engineer on the coast. Nice to see another Oregonian and fellow engineer.
These cars are fun fun fun
Waldport?! You have a great twisty drive to get over to the valley via 34 through Alsea. I always look forward to "having" to go to our branch there.

Is your sig pic taken just south of Yachats?

Thanks,
Jerry

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes that photo was taken just south of Yahats. One of many excellent stops on one of the many excellent Oregon drives. Next time you wander out this way on Hwy 34 we should meet for coffee.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts