Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody!

How are you all doing? Well here I sit here, deployed to this s***hole called Iraq, and I am browsing around looking at what car I will be driving when I get home.

I sold my Buick before I left so it wouldn't be sitting for a year.

Enthusiast forums are one of the best ways to get a feel for cars and really get in touch with your car... and I am thinking about getting an SLK - probably a previously owned SLK 230 or 320 off of e-bay. I will be using this site to form my decision and see if it is the right car for me!

:usa:

SGT Dan
Iraq

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
First off...THANKS to ALL of you over there for your service!!!:Beer::rockon::usa:

Welcome to the forum!R)

You will find good people here willing to help you and answer any questions you may have.

Again,
Welcome!

SLKman:tu:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I understand that people here are biased (they love the slk's) but I am considering one and getting a feel for the car would be nice. This is the closest I can get to it right now.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Welcome from North Carolina, SLK is an excellent choice. Ebay also is an excellent choice. I recently bought a 99 SLK off Ebay and am very happy with the car and deal. This is the place for info, biased yes but many opinions and tons of expertise. Visit often and ask all the questions you care to. Just one big family here. :tazz::tazz:

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
I will tell you this...I bought mine a year ago off Ebay.
I bought an extended warranty for it. Glad I did. I have had very few problems but when you do have a problem it is expensive!!!! Ain't nothing cheap on a Mercedes.

The other side of the coin. I work in 2 different fields...Airline and Insurance. It's sad to say but people do make first opinions of you by what they see you drive up in. Since having the SLK my business has really picked up. Airline upper management to Insurance customers that I meet with at the office or their homes. It is a status symbol that everyone recognizes and respects!

Can't even tell you how many times girls have walked up to the car to compliment it. (Once while my wife was there!:D) or rolled down windows to "visit" at stop lights. It is a chick magnet!!!!:hb:

So for whatever reason you may want an SLK I think you will be glad you bought a Mercedes verses any other convertible out there. They just don't have the "stature" a Mercedes has.

That's my 2 cents worth.

SLKman:tu:

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the Forum!, Good choice with the SLK as it is a very nice and comfortable car.

I would reccomend you to go for the latest model you could find so that the issues might be fixed etc. To get to the point, I think the SLK320 might be suitable as it has the torque, whilst the 230Kompressor ie "SuperCharge" is easy to modify and is also has the Fun Factor out of the box.

Overall you are looking at a Fun Roadster that has both the qualities and refienments of a GT Crusier and a Sportcars, Therefore it can be used as a daily driver or a weekend fun car.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Nice move Bill, free Premium membership for our military men and women... Wait Im retired military,,, how about me???? just kiddin Y):usa::usa:

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Nice move Bill, free Premium membership for our military men and women... Wait Im retired military,,, how about me???? just kiddin Y):usa::usa:
Bill, It's not true what people say about you :Beer: :usa::usa::usa::usa: (OK, they don't really!) - Dan, doesn't matter what SLK you get - you'lll love it.

Stay Safe.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Welcome Sgt. Dan. :tu: Be safe and be kind (a very difficult thing to do especially at where you are). :usa:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Sgt Dan, Where in the US do you call home? We have members from all over the world, some closer to you then you might realize. Many assets to assist with info and research into cars and mods etc. Very good chance if you find a prospective SLK, one of our members may be close enough and could take a look and give thoughts. If you have not yet found the PM (private message) feature here, it allows one to message another member off forum for private conversations. This tool may be of use in your search for a car. Bill (the founder of SLK World) has given you a Premium membership, this allows you use of all the available assets at no cost whatsoever. If you have fellow soldiers that are interested in SLK's, pass this site to them. We appreciate your service to our nation and look forward to your participation here and your safe return to CONUS. :D:D:D

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:DHi Sgt Dan and welcome to SLKWorld. This is a great forum for those contemplating a SLK purchase. Tons of great information and wonderful members to gain insight and advice. As a retired Air Force member, I can appreciate the work you do. I have daily contact with many Army troops from Fort Lee, VA and enjoy talking to them regarding their Iraq experiences. Mentioning eBay, it's a great place to shop for cars and accessories. I found two great used SLKs that I negotiated and purchased (in person). I'm constantly looking for wheels and accessories. Glad you're here (online), gain as much info as possible on the SLKs. You'll be well prepared to make a decision once you return home. Stay safe!

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld. Hope you do not mind I made changes to your account. I made it a premium membership

:usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa:

Regards,
Bill T
:tu:Bill, nice gesture.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld. Hope you do not mind I made changes to your account. I made it a premium membership

Regards,
Bill T
Bill, awesome gesture... Y)

Sgt. Dan, thanks and God bless you and all of your brothers and sisters who serve our country. Y)

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld Dan!!

As with some other members here, I too am prior military (Air Force) and my wife is retired AF (23 yrs) and want to say "THANKS"!!

You didn't know it, but you see "me" probably everyday! I work in the NOC at HQ AFN Europe in Mannheim. If you have trouble with your decoder, I'm one of the 4 guys you call! DSN 389-4444

Anyway, you can't go wrong with the SLK! It's a great car!! Look forward to seeing more of you!!

Be safe!!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Hello from Germany. Please do what the others have told you: Stay safe!

The SLK, either 320 or 230, is a good choice. Ebay is a box of chocolates: You never know what you get. Ask Forrest, he knows it.

BTW: the others have no good taste, really. Dont believe them if they are telling you that red, copper, silver, blue or green are nice. Just black is beautiful ;) :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts

Regards,
Bill T
First Class gesture Bill. Outstanding.

Sarge. Welcome to the forum. I have had my new SLK55 for about two months and can certainly attest the wisdom and helpfulness of the folks here. And their fun to chat with to boot.

Thank you and your fellow soldiers for your service. We are all quite proud of you back home. We can only imagine how tough it is over there. Be well...be safe. :hail: :usa: Y)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
hey bud glad your aboard. My sister in law is about to go to kuwait, and my brother is going BACK to iraq. Both this summer :(. So stay safe out there, cuz its nerve racking for the people at home.

anyway I would say get the slk320. Its fun, and its a v6. Also if ever down the road you want to throw more juice into it, you can get the OEM supercharger that is on the slk32 on it. Or many MANY of the superchargers made for the 32 engine. (the M770 or somehting, im sure dan or someone will correct me).

Just my two cents.
Hope all goes well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.