Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just joined and wanted to say a quick hello. Don't own an SLK (yet) but I'm keenly interested, so why not come straight to the fountain of knowledge to learn more? Currently own a C230K sport sedan (W203) and the newest generation (NC) MX-5 Miata, each with less than 20K miles and both of which I really enjoy driving for different reasons. Have a hunch I might love the R171 even more than either of them. Former crotch rocket motorcyclist (Honda Interceptor and Yamaha FZR) who simply enjoys vehicles engineered to put a smile on the face, but now old and professional enough to desire a finer touch, at least some of the time. Would welcome any encouragement, tips, regrets, or other advice for a would-be SLK owner. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Welcome... Hang around here for any length of time and you'll soon be an SLK owner.. :)

You might want to update you profile to let folks know where your from, that will help them/us to give you more relevant information. Also, like a lot of forums, the search engine is your friend. Tons of knowledge on here.

Cheers!

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
Welcome!!!!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome doc_c. Have you test driven any R171? be it 300, 350 or 55?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,406 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for hosting and licensing fees to the site. Any amount is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All, thanks for the warm greetings from around the world!

Welcome doc_c. Have you test driven any R171? be it 300, 350 or 55?
Eddy - haven't test driven yet. Almost did 2 days ago when I serviced the W203 at the dealership but alas had to get to work. Will plan on it soon, probably looking for a CPO 280/300/350. Also in the market for property so 20% down = no 55 for me. Pretty set on manual tranny, low mileage and CPO, so I'm prepared to be patient and calculating to find my match (esp. since I only average ~ 7K miles a year on 2 cars combined).

Already enjoying the enthusiasm on this site and will definitely exhaust the search function in the days ahead. Thanks again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welcome from North West England.
You won't regret your purchase..
I think they are the perfect sportscar, design, shape and comfort. Fab!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi and thanks to everyone. I am quite active on the Lexus Soarer Owners Club Forum but quite a lot of welcomes from all over the world. Out today, blazing Sunshine so the Cappuccino (Google if you don't know, no ordinary car) was having a razz and I came across another Soarer at local Bike haunt Devil's Bridge. Always a Buzz if you've got something unusual. Watched a few brave souls leap the at least 100 feet into the cold river below. Absolutely fabulous day. I saw someone in a new shape SLK with the roof up, what the...on earth..are you waiting for. If I was in charge etc...
As for my SLK experience. I actually lost a £200 deposit on a £10k 350SLK but I already had the TVR, the Soarer, the Mk1 MR2 and I just don't earn enough. To be honest I've always loved the looks of that SLK, is it called the 170 but I do love a nimble sportscar and I don't think I've ever heard one called nimble. I've had test drives in 2 230's and the 350 I fell for and I thought they were absolutely fantastic but you hear these opinions and adopt them but a meeting on the M6 with a guy in a SLK23 AMG convinced me that the 32 answered every concern I could ever have. He even had Magazines with reviews.
I found a picture of a 32's boot open, using the search facility as advised with some success. This explains one confusion I had. The M6 guy's car had the aerosol spare whilst the 230's have a space saver of some dimension so the AMG is very different. Can anyone tell me what the boot floor, hatch arrangement is like and what is underneath.
I notice that someone lives very near me, in Cleveleys I believe. I was going to go over to Cleveleys to look at some Garage. If you could find a moment I'd love to pop over and have a proper look at one.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Well, from a track point of view, the SLK does not compete with your Miata, not nearly the pure expierence. However, if you are going to use it for every day, or for long trips, there is no comparison, you will be very happy in the SLK. After all, fully automatic windscreen wipers will just thrill you to death to name one! They should be required on all cars as a safety option.

I use my 2006 SLK350 on road and do track it. It IS definatly heavy, however, after being hit head on by a van in my 2005 SLK350, you cannot deny it is a better place to be then a Miata or MR2 on a daily basis. All those airbags and high-strength steel save your bacon.

As far as the trunk, in my SLK350, I have the run-flat tire option, so I do not keep the compressed mini-spare in the trunk. I get 1 MPG better fuel mileage without it, it is so heavy. I just keep the air pump in. My trunk is the size of 3 Miata trunks, 2.5 with the top down. The SLK32 is slightly smaller, so figure twice the size, maybe 1.75 with the mini-spare in of a Miata trunk.

PS: Let me clarify, I am thinking in terms of my Mom's Miata's trunk, which was a 1995.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,527 Posts
Hi everyone, just joined and wanted to say a quick hello. Don't own an SLK (yet) but I'm keenly interested, so why not come straight to the fountain of knowledge to learn more? Currently own a C230K sport sedan (W203) and the newest generation (NC) MX-5 Miata, each with less than 20K miles and both of which I really enjoy driving for different reasons. Have a hunch I might love the R171 even more than either of them. Former crotch rocket motorcyclist (Honda Interceptor and Yamaha FZR) who simply enjoys vehicles engineered to put a smile on the face, but now old and professional enough to desire a finer touch, at least some of the time. Would welcome any encouragement, tips, regrets, or other advice for a would-be SLK owner. Thanks in advance!
welcome to the forum.
My only regret is finding out about the slk32 amg after i bought my 98 slk230. The 32amg has just a few HP shy of the 55amg and can exceed the 55's HP with 1 mod to the supercharger pulley, sorry auto trans only, no navigation or airscarf. You can find a C.P.O. vehicle somewhere.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Be forewarned. If you don't have much willpower then don't take a test drive. I've got quite a bit of willpower and ended up buying my SLK the same day (I guess that's proof I don't actually have any willpower)..... didn't really know much about them at all.....uhhh...still don't ;)

and I agree with Racercub. Not to bash the SLK but I still believe my Fieros handle better than the SLK. When it comes to comfort, thrill, bells, whistles and not having your legs broken in a collision my vote is for the SLK :)

Plus I'd rather have people point at my car in awe rather than pointing and laughing ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.