Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,344 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/212745-what-r170-r171-r172.html

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/68666-new-used-vehicle-pickup-checklist.html

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,037 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Registered 2006 55 AMG
112 Posts
Well mine is my 1st ever Merc, went in feet 1st and got a 171, 2006, 60k miles AMG55. £18k from a garage near Doncaster. Big deal for me and was quite worried about what I was to end up with. The drive back home to Scotland just highlighted what am amazing car it is. Lucky as it's a weekend fun car so not bothered about fuel economy but have to say seeing low 20's makes me frown, but then I forget as I hear the mighty V8 thunder! Best car I've ever driven, period.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome, it is greatly appreciated. I am not after massive power (but enough>:D) and to be able to drive from Preston to Skye and get out with out my back being in bits, what would you suggest? I have been steered (if you pardon the pun) to SLK230 or above and after 2002 in age. Budget about £4K. I know this is not a lot but that's what I have available.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,344 Posts
see my post 4 above thread links? :D

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,405 Posts
Hi Alun, and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us and posting an intro! :)

I know several other members with an SLK230, so I bet you'd love that!... just make sure you use the checklists that Jeff provided the link for, and watch out for rust. Most other things often have potential DIY fixes that you'll find somewhere on the forum. Good luck with your search.

We have quite a few members in the UK that like to meet up from time to time, although things are a little quieter during the winter months, but please feel free to come along to a meet even before you've bought an SLK (can be useful to chat with other members, and look at their SLKs too). If you're interested in joining us sometime, just keep an eye on the UK Region section, as we post meeting plans there! :tu:

There are summary posts that I maintain for all UK meets (2016 here & 2017 here). Links to examples and pictures from 2016's past meets are available here.

Finally, we also recently started plotting where our UK members are - check out the thread for that here: SLKWorld UK & Ireland Members and Meeting Points Map

Thank you
Dave

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2000 SLK320
210 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, it is greatly appreciated. I am not after massive power (but enough>:D) and to be able to drive from Preston to Skye and get out with out my back being in bits, what would you suggest? I have been steered (if you pardon the pun) to SLK230 or above and after 2002 in age. Budget about £4K. I know this is not a lot but that's what I have available.
£3K bought me a 2000 320 V6 with 65,000 on the clock and minimal rust (just a little surface stuff which I intend to get seen to soon) and an interior that still looks really good. The V6 just has that bit more power and torque and is a more effortless drive, and sounds better. Mine is a pleasure to drive.

If your budget is £4k absolute max. aim for a £3K car and keep some in reserve for the odd problems that will crop up during the first months of ownership. Use Jeff's links above and do your research on here for common problems. These cars at 14-16 years old so will not necessarily be plain sailing, but it's worth it.

Have fun :smile:

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,799 Posts
Welcome from Canada Alun :grin:

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Welcome from Nottingham

Hi Alun, welcome to the best SLK place.
As SLK's go I have to say a 55. >:D
The 55 can be more expensive to run due to the AMG kit, brakes etc. Face lift version does have cheaper brakes but retains the V8 sound. >:D
People who purchase the 55 do smile a lot. >:D
Look out for some meetings in the UK Region and pop along before you buy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts