Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Chris and as I have already posted a thread about a problem I have with my SLK55AMG, I really need to introduce myself. For the first 25 or so years with cars, I've been a Porsche owner ending up with a modified 944 that was nearer a race car than for the road. To accommodate a family, I sold it and spent some time with sensible cars, but satisfied the "fun factor" by building and flying an experimental aircraft - Burt Rutan design. Twin daughters now moved out and retired early, so although I still have the plane, the car doesn't need 4 seats any more. I wanted a convertible and naturally looked at a modern Porsche (Boxster or 911) or Aston Martin but wasn't impressed by the value for money (mix of condition, performance, appearance, reliability etc). Then I saw an SLK350 in the local Merc garage and took a look. I really liked the folding roof, condition and value, so started looking for a 55AMG. After a while I found a 2005 model, silver with black/red interior, immaculate and only 18,000 miles from new and half the price of a similar Aston or Porsche.
It's great fun, I love it and although it's not a major point I think an engine that size ought to have more power. If my wife's Audi Q7 diesel had a 5.5 litre engine, it would have 440bhp. Not sure I'll do much about it though, the SLK is still quick enough and fun enough.
Chris Rayner

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan via Dallas Texas......

·
Registered
241 Posts
Welcome from Lichfield!

I've been an SLK owner for just over a week now and every day it just gets better :burnout:

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Welcome from southern Illinois! I think you will have plenty of horse power with the 55, but there's always supercharging. Even my 350 goes like a rocket when driven at the limit. How about some pictures of the new ride please!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,482 Posts
Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome from southern California. For a non-supercharger solution, you may want to look at Brabus, but still not inexpensive.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Which Rutan did you build? I met him in 1974 at Oshkosh when he brought the VariViggen. Quite the guy even then.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts