Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha,

I have lurked on this forum for a while now Its great Thanks Ynot for the info on the air filters I know its basic but it helped!

Little history here I bought my 05' slk new in Upstate NY and moved to Hawaii almost 2 years ago the closed authorized tech except for the one at the Honda dealer is on a different Island so I am doing the basic maintenance myself. I did have the tech do the recall and change the starter last week and 2 days later the check engine light came on. help! the car runs great but i need to get it looked at any ideas?

Thanks again

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,496 Posts
Touli,

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Welcome from California.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome from southern California. Do they not have independent Mercedes/BMW shops on the Big Island? How about the Kona side?

Reactions: slkninja

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan via Richardson Texas.....

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Aloha from a haole in Ottawa Canada!!
Been to Maui for diving, and worked on Oahu but have yet to visit the Big Island - jealous!

Like Eddy says, there must be a Merc dealer there (you're going to probably need the diagnostic system SDS) or maybe one or more independents. Google that brudder!

·
Registered
352 Posts
there's mercedes dealerships (one each) on oahu and maui.

on the big island, i think the closest thing is the FJ honda dealerships in kona & hilo (FJ owns the oahu and maui authorized dealerships) and is probably your best bet for servicing.

owning a bmw versus a mecedes might be a better bet on the BI, as I think there's now 2 dealerships.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :tu:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there's mercedes dealerships (one each) on oahu and maui.

on the big island, i think the closest thing is the FJ honda dealerships in kona & hilo (FJ owns the oahu and maui authorized dealerships) and is probably your best bet for servicing.

owning a bmw versus a mecedes might be a better bet on the BI, as I think there's now 2 dealerships.

You are correct FJ owns the so called MB dealership on the Kona ans Hilo side but they have 1 tech trained for both lots its a 2 plus hour drive to the other side and they say the real tech is on the other side. The dealership is really a Honda dealer on both sides but they say you can get your car worked on but I don't think you can buy a MB anymore. I had it in for a new starter and the comp recall and the Honda tech did the work then a day later the check light came on so I'm shy to go back . I'm now looking for an independent tech.

Thanks for your welcomes and help everyone!:)

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I had it in for a new starter and the comp recall and the Honda tech did the work then a day later the check light came on so I'm shy to go back . I'm now looking for an independent tech. ...(quote from ur post)

if u r from big island /hilo side, there's this independent mechanic i go to, he services foreign cars n in his business card he specialize in mercedes n bmw. he service my other car (bmw z3). it's his number if u wanna check it out,(808-854-3895). there r other mechanics that works on specialty cars, i can ask my autocross mates of their phone# so u can call em', i'll pm u.
thank you!
i also find slkworld very informative! thank u all!

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts
Welcome from Norway :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was in Hawaii earlier this year and had a convertible on loan while there. That's what made me fall in love with roasters and decide that's what I need for my next car. Perfect place to have the SLK.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.