Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my name is Bernd. I am from Northern Germany, from a lovely town called Münster. I don't have a SLK yet, but look to buy a facelifted R170 SLK230 with manual transmission hopefully early next year. I have driven all three SLK versions (except for the AMG versions and the R172 diesel), but the R170 as the first SLK gives me the most pleasure. That's of course purely personal preference.

I happen to write books about Mercedes cars, six so far and also a couple of e-books. Right now I write a book about all three SLK models. They will also come out as individual e-books. In the beginning I did not think that I actually need to own one, but the deeper I delved into the subject, the more the idea of also owning one, kept creeping up. Now I have caved in :) I have owned a few SL cars, various vintage Mercedes from an early 170 Cabrio B to a 300 Adenauer etc. Right now I own a W111 V8 coupe, which I only drive in summer.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,305 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,920 Posts
Guten Tag Bernd, a warm welcome from Southern Arizona. Good to have you on board. Enjoy the people, the forum, and top down cruisin'.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,258 Posts
Hi everyone, my name is Bernd. I am from Northern Germany, from a lovely town called Münster. I don't have a SLK yet, but look to buy a facelifted R170 SLK230 with manual transmission hopefully early next year. I have driven all three SLK versions (except for the AMG versions and the R172 diesel), but the R170 as the first SLK gives me the most pleasure. That's of course purely personal preference.

I happen to write books about Mercedes cars, six so far and also a couple of e-books. Right now I write a book about all three SLK models. They will also come out as individual e-books. In the beginning I did not think that I actually need to own one, but the deeper I delved into the subject, the more the idea of also owning one, kept creeping up. Now I have caved in :) I have owned a few SL cars, various vintage Mercedes from an early 170 Cabrio B to a 300 Adenauer etc. Right now I own a W111 V8 coupe, which I only drive in summer.
Bernd S. Koehling
Wow you have written quite a few books on the history of Mercedes-Benz hopefully you can give us a few tips!:smile:

Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,406 Posts
Hi Bernd and welcome to the forum from the UK Midlands... good luck with the search for your perfect SLK! :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hello Bernd:
Welcome to the group - The R170 is my favorite as well. To me, it represents most closely the original design intent and has the cleanest styling. I do however find myself somewhat envious of another members SLK32. I really don't know why - the 230 has more performance than I need, or would ever use. But somehow, deep down in my soul… the performance potential of the SLK32 just appeals to me. Maybe it's the old "American Muscle Car" memory in my genes, or maybe it has to do with living a lifetime being too conservative - and now wanting something a little more wild.

If the right SLK32 came along - - I might have to give in. The "right" one would of course have to be Sunburst Yellow and as close to new as possible..

Mecerdes Benz SLK 230 Sport

FWIW,
Carl B.
Clearwater, Florida, USA

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi gents,

many thanks for your warm welcome messages.

Hello Bernd:
Welcome to the group - The R170 is my favorite as well. To me, it represents most closely the original design intent and has the cleanest styling. I do however find myself somewhat envious of another members SLK32. I really don't know why - the 230 has more performance than I need, or would ever use. But somehow, deep down in my soul… the performance potential of the SLK32 just appeals to me. Maybe it's the old "American Muscle Car" memory in my genes, or maybe it has to do with living a lifetime being too conservative - and now wanting something a little more wild.

If the right SLK32 came along - - I might have to give in. The "right" one would of course have to be Sunburst Yellow and as close to new as possible..

Mecerdes Benz SLK 230 Sport

FWIW,
Carl B.
Clearwater, Florida, USA
I know exactly, where you come from, Carl. I think it's this boyish feeling in us, always to be still just a little bit better (faster). The AMG is an absolute dream, but I can assure you, after a couple of months, we will find ourselves tinkering with the idea that although the SLK32 is by far fast enough, wasn't there this old ad from RENNtech, that once offered a couple of more horsepower...:smile:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah Carl, I know that 1997 Jeremy video. He refers to the 2.3 l engine as a kitchen utensil, which it probably is, when compared to the Brabus brute 0:)

Hi Nikzul,
Best regards to KL. I was there last time in 2009. Great place

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,961 Posts
Welcome and thanks for joining.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Greetings from Tennessee !

Glad to have your knowledge and expertise here on the site.

Welcome to the Forum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts