Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

My name is Aitor and I'm from Galicia, a green and lovely county/state/region on the Atlantic side, north west of Spain, with very mild summer climate where the convertible can be enjoyed to the fullest

I've just purchased an used r171 06 SLK 200 with 98k kms, quite basic cause it was difficult to get the car with everything and in black which was for me mandatory!.

It also comes with maroon leather seats which make it look great :wink: It has also xenon for the low-beans and came with the basic AUDIO 20 unit which I've just replaced a few days ago for a Chinese after-market unit with android 5 which looks and performs great in my car.

Not sure what to do with the 6 CD changer in the glovebox, any idea? I presume it's price in the market is close to nothing.

Hope I can learn from all of you, I want to do step by step some changes in the car from a comfortability point of view:
- Rear and front camera
- Ultrasound sensors
- Get more confortable seats maybe?

The cons I found so far with the car are:
- It is not the most powerful car out there. Maybe should have gone for a 230k but fuel consumption was definetily important as I conmute everyday to work (30 kms)
- Not the most confortable to drive 500km in a row in the highway, which I happen to do every 2/3 weeks. My seats have no lumbar adjustment setting and my back hurts a bit
- Roof joints are quite noisy, I read somewhere about waxing them so the noise goes away. I will try this soon

And that's it. I hope we can share knowledge and some stories in here.
Read you around!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Hi Aitor, and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)

The option for front and rear camera will depend on the inputs you have on your new head unit - there are others on here that have added cameras, so please use the search feature to try to find them... Edit: I see that you're already active about this in one of the forum threads, so no need to search again! :tu:

Swapping to more comfortable seats may be much more difficult. I know of one member that has swapped their R171 seats to be R172 seats, but it's probably expensive to buy the seats, plus quite a complex job to replace them. Although I don't suffer from lumbar support issues in my car, have you considered using a support cushion when you are driving the longer distances?

Some great R171 info, including Owner’s/Maintenance/COMAND manuals, etc.:
Don’t forget to lube those seals (this is likely to help the noises from your roof joints & seals):
Download your car’s brochure:
Mods you should think about doing to your SLK:
  • SmartTop: What is this SmartTOP all the members keep talking about?
  • Shorty antenna
  • LED license plate bulbs and parking lights
  • Chrome/stealth indicator bulbs (still flash orange, but removes the ‘fried egg’ look from your headlight housings)
  • OEM windscreen or Lighted/etched windscreen
Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
  • Post your VIN (or VIN of a car you're looking at) in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on the car).
    FREE!! How to get a free data card!
  • If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
  • If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
  • Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If iPhone/iPad pics, you can only attach 1 pic per post this way as iOS names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
  • Want to 'like' or 'thank' someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any individual’s post that you like. This saves you having to comment.
  • New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link in the info bar towards the top of the screen is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
  • Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum
Thank you
Dave

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,620 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Super Moderator 2006 SLK 280
10,876 Posts
Welcome from Northern California

Welcome to SLKWorld.com:Beer:

R) :burnout:

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,840 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts