Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a retired mechanical engineer who owns a SLK32 AMG. I enjoy working on my own vehicles and have a lift in my basement. My SLK is a 2002 with 34K miles on its clock. It appears to be a fine car as were the other MB's I've owned since my first one in 1980.

The SLK is on my lift at the moment as I try anf figure out how to remove the door panel. It had an oil change yesterday. The reason why I am removing the door panel is to determine why the car will not lock the door when the key fob is pressed. I hear a hissing so I suspect the pneumatic actuator has a broken diaphram. But before ordering the part, the fact it is faulty must be verified. Before verification, the door panel has to come off which I have not completely accomplished yet.

My hobbies include motorsports and much DIY undertakings. I am a driving instructor for several car clubs here in the southeast. My favorite tracks are Road Atlanta and VIR.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan.....

·
Registered
843 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another SLK32 owner in Santa Monica, CA!

Good luck with your trouble shooting and fix. If you don't find the problem with the actuator in the door, you may want to check out whether the PSE in the trunk is working well or not.

If you are still stuck on the door panel removal when you read this post, try heading to this SLKworld forum section for R170's:

SLK 1998 to 2003 R170 Encyclopedia

Then click the disassembly button, and then click the door panel button. Step by step procedure with photos.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome from souhtern California.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Greetings from Atlanta!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also have an 02 SLK32 that I picked up in February of this year - 85,000 miles on it but still a treat to drive. Good luck with yours.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,411 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members listed to obtain your needed posts.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, perhaps something that saved you time or money, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! At the top of the page, click ‘Donate now’. Thanks!

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just finished the repair. The pneumatic line had cracked the nipple on the actuator. I removed the cap where the nipple is located, drilled out what was left of the nipple, and inserted a small tube that I was able to attach to the existing line. I JB Welded the thing together. There is an O-ring seal so the cap can be turned yet maintain vacuum/positive pressure.

If anyone is interested, I posted pictures of the repair under 'Help and Support'.

Mercedes cut the line too short in my opinion as well as another poster's opinion. It was constantly under tension. The added piece I installed adds about 1/4 inch to the assembly so this should not happen again.

While in there I looked around for the reason that the driver's door window would rattle when slammed with the window down. Passenger side was always ok. I noticed a nut was missing near the top of the door that attaches to a window support. The nut was not in the bottom of the door. It was never installed at the factory. All is good now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts