Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I currently own a 2001 SLK320 with 82,300 mi and have found this forum a great source in troubleshootng issues with my car prior to taking it to the dealer to fix. To the point, that my MB Technician has gained a new respect for women owners. So I wanted to finally introduce myself and say thanks for sharing all your knowledge!

Additionally, I am comtemplating purchasing a 2005 SLK350 with the AMG Sports Package, Comfort and Premiun Packages and iPod Interface (base speakers & single in-dash CD) with only 22,737 mi. No warranty remains. Only repair was replacement of speed sensor for cruise control. Other than that all A Services done at standard intervals. I confirmed the M272 engine in this SLK is not within the range of the oil consumption SB so that makes feel somewhat relieved. However, one issue that concerns me is the liquid crystal which has detriorated to the right of the odometer reading. Not sure if the dealer pic is large enough to see the defect. I can't find any threads addressing the problem and cost to fix. Is the only fix to remove the instrument cluster and replace? If so, is it difficult and can anyone provide a tutorial and a part number if I decide to attempt it on my own?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,453 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, vehicle.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan.....

Reactions: Ugogirl

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome from NE England.

A new instrument cluster is surprisingly cheaper than you might think, and fairly easy to fit. The only problem is it needs 'coding' to the car using SDS (Star Diagnostic System - MB's proprietary electronic link between their cars and their 'inside world'). Very few people own a fully functioning SDS privately - you would have to go to a main dealer or a good indy who has one to pair the cluster with the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone! MB of Littleton quoted me $1,681 ($1,380 part, $196 labor and $105 tax). My jaw is still on the floor!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! I'm definitely listing this company in my 'favorite' folder.
PropDr, why does it have to be a virgin part? I see some used clusters on eBay for way lots less. Just wondering what's the disconnect.
Forget me. If I had read the eBay auction thoroughly I would have seen they are for an '09 SLK350 and are 'NOT TESTED'. That's why they are $250 each. But boy wouldn't it be nice to save $750! Realizing just how ridiculous the markup on these MB parts is!!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome Ugogirl.

Reactions: Ugogirl
1 - 19 of 19 Posts