Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a great website this is. We have just bought a used slk 200 auto 2008 model from our local MB dealer (we were intending to get a peugot 208CC) but fell in love with the slk at first sight - looks fantastic - why didn't we get one sooner! we have a really minor problem
Problem: The lid of the centre armrest is hard to open (it hinges at the back and does not open side to side as the earlier model - yes I did look at the previous postings), I have tried silicone grease on the two sockets at the front of the lid that the spring lugs clip into but that has not improved it much, I did think of packing something into the sockets to stop the lugs travelling all the way in but thought that may mess up the locking mechanism- any other suggestions?
Also there are two sprung pins (one vertical and one horizontal) I suspect that they are switches - but what for?
Regards Ian

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,648 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, vehicle.

This is a known issue. I had to have the whole bottom console replaced. good luck!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Sergeant-at Arms

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ian, my armrest popped off the other day, and I had to take it to my MB dealer to have it repaired (at no cost, thank goodness). I told my tech guy that this is the worst piece of MB engeering that I have ever seen. He kind of chuckled, and to be true to his employer without saying anything too bad about MB, he said, "Yes, we have had a lot of problems with this issue". I have had my cd player removed from the dash pocket since I listen exclusively to Sirius so fortunately I have a certain amount of storage without using the center console. Good luck with your new ride. I know you look great in it.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,926 Posts
As mentioned this is a known issue; you've already found the other threads on it. My SLK has the problem and I've just mentally blocked out the fact that there's even a storage compartment there :D. I just don't use it.

That said, this is a very poorly designed piece of the interior, and one that after one bad model year was not fixed by MB. Poor showing by them...

Oh and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Welcome from Malaysia:Beer:
Interesting piece of manufacturing defect from MB. Maybe intentionally to train SLK owner as F1 driver?!;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Wooly, thanks for the pdf, I had seen this on a search. My armrest is a lot simpler and only lifts up at the front, there are no buttons in the sides, just a recess for fingers. Clearly the guy that designs the armrest has failed on both attempts!
Regards Ian

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
. . . My armrest is a lot simpler and only lifts up at the front, there are no buttons in the sides, just a recess for fingers. . .
The top part of your centre console lid WILL open from side to side - all R171s are the same in this respect. The connector for the phone (if fitted) is in there.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The top part of your centre console lid WILL open from side to side - all R171s are the same in this respect. The connector for the phone (if fitted) is in there.
??? Perhaps the center (centre) console hinge and friction latches are located in different places for different markets; or perhaps we are using different terminology to say the same thing(s). The hinge for the console lid in my R171 is to the rear of the passenger compartment and the friction latches are located toward the front. When the lid is open, the compartment is equally accessible from either side of the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Wooly
I'm sure that Ben721364 is correct and different versions have a different armrest - perhaps the armrest was simplified to overcome the problem with the side hinged lid. Mine doesn't have extrnal press buttons, just recesses to enable the lid to be lifted so it stands up against what look like earlevel speakers (but I believe they a false).

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Hi Wooly
I'm sure that Ben721364 is correct and different versions have a different armrest - perhaps the armrest was simplified to overcome the problem with the side hinged lid. Mine doesn't have extrnal press buttons, just recesses to enable the lid to be lifted so it stands up against what look like earlevel speakers (but I believe they a false).
I sit corrected!! It looks like the 'split lid' central stowage compartment was done away with during the '08 facelift.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan.... Hope you get your problem resolved!!!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
As mentioned this is a known issue; you've already found the other threads on it. My SLK has the problem and I've just mentally blocked out the fact that there's even a storage compartment there :D. I just don't use it.

That said, this is a very poorly designed piece of the interior, and one that after one bad model year was not fixed by MB. Poor showing by them...

Oh and welcome to the forum!
The center console arm rest storage compartment was changed to one without the upper chamber in mid-model year 2007 (North America) precisely because of the many complaints. The change uses only one large compartment with a small shelf for the Bluetooth puck, the lid is a single piece that opens from the front by pulling upward. This lid is locked when the vehicle is locked via the remote key. AMG models have the leather-covered lids while non-AMG have the same material as the black dash.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Welcome from Indy!!! The center console "door" works correctly ~30-40% of the time in my '06, but that's no big deal for me(yes, I DO use the console, but the problem is just an inconvenience). Now, if you have the 7sp AT(722.9), have it diagnosed, just to be sure it doesn't have a faulty conductor plate and/or valve body....not a cheep fix if you have no warranty; $1900 to fix it in Indy...
Great job MB, great job...

Mercedes Benz, the best or (so far) nothing...(I'm having so much fun with this :Beer:)

Do enjoy your SLK :tu:

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Greetings from Tennessee ! My '06 SLK 280 has a similar problem. Appears to be a case of overengineering by the boys from M-B, wanting a console that opens from both sides. Who wants to bet it was a VP's girlfriend that pushed it through!

If it's not blasphemy to say on this forum I do appreciate the Japanese's singular focus on making things that work. They don't make cars that are as fun to drive as this one though !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts