1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
4,909 Posts
Of course, leaving the scene of the crash suggests also impaired driving, e.g., DUI? I imagine they won't show up until they are confident their system has purged the evidence.
Leaving the scene actually sets up a deniability scenario for the DUI itself. You might claim you had a few after the incident to calm your nerves or some such.

It's tricky because there is still the matter of hit-and-run which can be a felony, whereas DUI first offense in California is almost always treated as a misdemeanor. But, leaving the scene of an accident in which there was only property damage is usually also a misdemeanor. So a calculating repeat offender drunko may have figured that taking the chances with the hit-and-run would be the best option here.

No, I have never been involved in hit-and-run nor in DUI :D. This incident happened very close to me (about a 2 minute drive from work), and I was talking about it this morning with a friend and we were both googling the legal implications and possible reason for leaving the scene when your identity is probably easy to track (i.e. not a stolen car).

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll bet the $220,000 check bounces.
LOL!!

I would hope a dealer of that level of car would be able to properly verify identity of the buyer and sufficiency of funds prior to turning over the keys.

Of course, I wonder if they informed their insurance that they bought that car yet. I imagine that could get a little sticky at this point if they hadn't already bound the policy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts