Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New here, no SLK yet

2K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  boogie 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I've been going back and forth between an SLK280 that's currently available and a bunch of other cars. It seems to be between the SLK and this SUV, the SLK and that Lexus, the SLK and some other car. I guess I can't get the SLK off my short list.

My problem is that I live in MN where we have snow 6 months of the year, and I won't have another car just for winter -- this is it! I see there are a few MN members here as well but they haven't posted in a while. It's summer, and us MN'ers are finally outdoors, so I can't blame them. They seem to be fine with their SLKs on snow, just had to use winter tires. However, most of you seem to prefer to skip the winter, which is not an option for me.

My current car is old, breaking down, and I don't want to still be driving it when the snow comes in a few months. Hope I can get that replacement car soon!

#3 ·
Yeah, there are a couple of posts talking about that. Blizzaks and Dunlops have been mentioned.

I've also seen a couple of posts suggesting putting some heavy load in the trunk. Posts like that make me wonder if I'm pushing what's practical/doable a little too much. :)

I'm still in this gray middle area where (a) I can't believe I can actually afford to get one, and (b) it's not really the car for me if it's my primary car and I'll have to use it year round.

But you know what they say - anticipation is the best part, and that's the stage I'm at, so even if I don't end up getting one, it's kinda fun imagining myself getting one and driving around in one.

#4 ·
Welcome boogie.

#9 ·
The SLK is the perfect convertible for the winter. After all, no soft top to let the cold in, and the following cold friendly features:

1. Heated Seats.
2. Air Scarf (blow heat faster then the regular heater!)
3. REST function (keeps blowing heat and circulating coolant to keep car warm while you run into the store, come back out to a warm car.)

Also, traction control and pleanty of airbags and crashability in case of something going wrong.

The SUV, on the other hand, well, you can't use 4wd on the ice (cause it's actually two wheel drive, front left and right rear, and will make you spin, unless you buy a really expensive model with locking differentials both Front and Rear.) Also, most SUV's pass side impact crash test rating because their door bottom is at sedan bumper height, same as test mule. Which is all well and good unless you get t-boned by another SUV.

Let's face it, SUV's have physics against them. I would not trust my children or grandchildren to one at highway speeds, especially in adverse weather.

#12 ·
Welcome aboard... :)

I drove our SLK in a few inches of snow last year and it was fine. I drove very carefully, gentle on the pedals, easy on the steering and concentrated on what I was doing, no problem. In the bits of England that I've lived in we typically don't get many days in the winter where snow is on the road in any quantity, so we don't get much practice, plus we don't fit winter tyres in most of the UK. Also, because it's so infrequent, it's an option for many people to just stay home for a day or two.

In other parts of the UK, e.g. Scottish highlands, North Wales, Cumbria, Northumberland, then it might be a different story.

BTW I also prefer a manual gearbox when the road is slippery, I never really feel in control with an auto.

Get the SLK, you know it makes sense.. ;)

#13 ·
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for hosting and licensing fees to the site. Any amount is welcome! Thanks!

#15 ·
I have an SLK as my only car and the GF has a Z3 as her only car and we live in a small village in the Tyne Valley, we had quite a bit of snow this last winter and only failed to get out one day, but that was only for the 1st couple of hours, after enough 4x4s had tracked the road we both got out.
I am sure with snow tyres it would be fine, but go easy on the gas:biglaugh:

Oh and welcome from NE England

#16 ·
Hi Boogie

As regards the snow and ice: is there any reason to think it won't be as good as the next car if you fit proper tyres? The thing about the SLK is that it's a great car with the roof *up* -- given the 125 days of rain where I live, that's important.

Once the urge to get an SLK takes hold, there is no escape. It is just a matter of time until you find good answers to all the reasons against.

Welcome.

Jonathan.

PS As another person with one car ("just an SLK"!) it's always performed splendily in slippery conditions: the antiskid works a treat. But I'm in a mild weather zone (usually no snow or ice, just 125 days of rain a year), so you probably want to get a real opinion from someone with proper ice experience. Oh yes and they have lots of taxis, buses, and tube trains here.

PPS Maybe you have a brother in Boulder or sister in San Francisco or similar in other non-snowy place and you could have the Annual Exchange Of The Cars? I'm just trying to be practical!

#18 ·
Welcome from Canada.

Don't let the SUV hype bite you. They're overrated.

Forgive me for sounding like an old man here but....

I drove RWD-front engine cars and trucks with all season radials (that were half bald) for many years and didn't have a problem with traction or accidents.

With a good set of winter tires and some weight in the back you should be fine for winter.

Now go out and buy the SLK. You know you want it. :)

I mean really.... what's more fun? Driving that SUV alongside everybody else's SUV in the winter? or driving with the top down and air scarf on?? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.