Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A back story on myself. I am 30 years young and actively seeking not to grow up. I've been married once and I'm fairly confident I'll never be doing that again. I have always considered myself a car guy but I fail at being a purist I'll admit. I'm FAR more into modern vehicles with tech and gadgets than I am into old school vehicles. In fact the oldest vehicle I own is 2001 Plymouth Prowler. But even it has power everything. I've also been into modifying my vehicles as well.
Here is my last finished Custom Build:Custom Lexus
And here is my current Custom Build: Hi-Boy Prowler
And here is my Daily Driver Build:
J. Dub's Build Thread--World's only debadged G1 CVT w/ sunroof & black moons - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Enough about the back story, let's get on with the why I'm here.
I'm here because I want a vehicle that is awd, 2-door, glass roof, adaptive headlights, heated and cooled seats, & 0-60 in under 4. The only vehicle that matches that criteria is the new 2016 Jaguar F-type. But it's far too expensive.
So I started looking for other vehicles with glass roofs. And that pointed me to the 2010-2014 mustang. Huge glass roof. Problem is they're all over the street. I'm into being different. I was also pointed to a corvette as it too has a glass roof. But sadly, they are also a dime a dozen.
So I went back to the drawing board. Now I wanted something unique and if I couldn't have a glass roof than I wanted a targa top, t-top, or convertible.
I thought hard on a 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe. Very rare car. Only 1266 (I think?) were ever made. But it lacked a V-8 sadly :(
Then I began looking at a BMW. Test drove one and could barely fit. I'm 6ft 3 and my foot got stuck under the bottom side of the dash multiple times.

So here I am seeking a SLK55. I've finally found the car that fits my budget and has things on it I like. And I also fit :)

I admit that the first thought of owning an SLK meant I must be a woman. I'm so use to the idea of an SLK being the first generation variant. It wasn't until 2 weeks ago that I looked again at what SLK offered that I fell in love with the R172 SLK55 platform with the magic sky roof and TRUE adaptive headlights unlike the anti-glare adaptive headlights on the r171's that only go up and down :(. Problem is my budget is to remain under $30k. So here I am seeking a R171 SLK55 instead. The reason I'd like a 2008 or newer is because I've read that the 2008 SLK55's got lumbar support. A must feature. I am still investigating to see if I can get lumbar support with airscarf. I fear I can't have both. I know my girl would love the airscarf.

I also love the ash/black two tone interior on the SLK55 r171. A feature that doesn't seem to exist for the r172. What a beautiful interior that is!

My fear with getting into a R171 is if they are reliable? I have found a 2008 SLK55 that has EVERY option I want. White exterior. Two tone ash/black interior, nav, bi-xenon lighting, etc... But it has 97k miles on the odometer. I begin to wonder who here has the highest mileage SLK55? How has he or she liked the high mileage experience? Any issues, etc... So sadly, because I have so many unanswered questions I fear I may sucker myself into getting a lower mileage car that doesn't have the interior color I seek. :( Time will tell. I have much to learn.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,902 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

owner's and maintenance manuals great R171 info:

later year owner's/maintenance/comand manuals, top right in the link below:
Bill's Den: Documents

your brochure:
Mercedes Brochure Archive

mods you should do:
smarttop

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

clear or tinted side markers
shorty antenna
led license plate bulbs
led parking lights
carbon fiber on the C pillars
oem windscreen or lighted/etched windscreen
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car).

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,902 Posts
My 09 has 93000
Love it
Very reliable

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
13,899 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

We love our SLK55 2009, we bought an extended warranty when we purchased the SLK55. It was well worth the money we put out for ext wty. We had a couple problems with Catalytic Converters & Exhaust odor which were covered under it. We bought the SLK 55 for around $32k with 66k miles on it, but we added on a few things, warranty, chrome Rims and a few other things. We bought from a MB dealer.

Maybe have jbanks run the VIN for you to get auto history etc...

Reactions: J. Dub

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clean carfax although the service reports don't say much. I would take it to a MB dealership and pay them to give this car a once over for me checking brakes, etc...

I wonder if the timing chain has been done? Or the fuel filter? Many questions on this car. It's hard to find these with the ash/black interior and white exterior but that mileage really concerns me. I've always purchased pre-owned cars under 45k on them.

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2008 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK55 AMG: WDBWK73F78F174927

·
13,899 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
J Dub here a SLK 55 2008 in FLa. with 30k less mileage. & less $$. Say hi to Jbanks when you drive down to pick it up. See link below.

Cars for Sale: 2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG in NORTH MIAMI BEACH, FL 33160: Convertible Details - 401102212 - Autotrader
Yes it sold 2 weeks ago. Not sure why the ad is still up. Believe me I wanted that one. Dealership said it's gone though.

FYI it was a lemon also. Apparently a MB dealership bought it back from their customer after not being able to fix the issue. Then fixed it (who really knows) and sold it out to that company you see in the ad above.

·
13,899 Posts
Darn! Check the SLKWORLD cars for sale?

Reactions: J. Dub

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Welcome from South West UK, just a thought, if you find everything you are looking for, other than the interior, and at the right price, is it something you can get done?

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,454 Posts
Hi Pete, welcome from Washington, DC.

Amazing cars you have. Good luck with your search for a 55; I can't wait to see what you do with it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.