Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
F)hi everyone. im in the process of researching and learning about the slk320. my question is as folloiws
how do i know if the car is a real amg?
what exactly is an amg?
were can i find all the color and interior combos for the 320?
is there something i need to know about regarding issues with the top motor ect?
i really like the 6 cyl in the 320 but if i find a 230 in excellent condition would that be a better buy?
is it better to leave the car stock as possible or are upgrades looked upon as investments for the car?
thanx in advance for any info. i cant wait to find my dream car and post some fotos here!

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
F)hi everyone. im in the process of researching and learning about the slk320. my question is as folloiws
how do i know if the car is a real amg?
what exactly is an amg?
were can i find all the color and interior combos for the 320?
is there something i need to know about regarding issues with the top motor ect?
i really like the 6 cyl in the 320 but if i find a 230 in excellent condition would that be a better buy?
is it better to leave the car stock as possible or are upgrades looked upon as investments for the car?
thanx in advance for any info. i cant wait to find my dream car and post some fotos here!
Look up SLK on Wikipedia, and it will summarize all the models. But to answer your questions:
The SLK 320 is a normally aspirated 6 cylinder car. The AMG is called the SLK32 (they drop the zero), and has a supercharger on the same engine. AMG is the high performance division of Mercedes, and they hand build each engine used in the AMG version. You can tell just by opening the hood whether or not the car has a supercharger. Some people have issues with their tops, but probably not any more than with any other feature of the car. I don't know where you can find all the color combos, but if you're looking at the SLK32, they haven't made that model since 2004, so you might just want to see what you can find on the market. The SLK 230 is a supercharged I-4, and it is very popular. There are more of them and the price is a little lower. They are more popular with folks who want to modify the car, as the engine and supercharger lends itself well to aftermarket modifications. As to which is the "better buy" it would probably depend on whether you plan to keep the car for a long or short term. Look at Kelly Blue Book on-line, and it will give you some idea about depreciation. I don't think there is a definitive answer about upgrades. It depends on what you do to the car. If you install a bigger pulley on the supercharger, that's probably going to increase the value. If you paint it lime green, not so much... Things like rims are personal preference, so it would depend on a prospective buyer as to whether it adds or subtracts value.

Hope that helps.

dj

·
Donor Conversion
198 Posts
Hi Dreamer and welcome!

AMG stands for Aufrecht Melcher Großaspach, and is a company owned by Mercedes which Adds More Go. They do a number of things like make wheels and body panels but the main thing is they make hand-made engines and generally tune up the car. The web site is www.mercedes-amg.com and has got some great pictures and videos.

From your post I'm guessing you're after the original 'R170' models, made up to 2004. The 'R171' models made after that have different numbers and look quite different.

An SLK32 AMG looks like a 320 but: the engine has a got a metal 'waffle' on top, the wheels are a special double-spoke design, there's a little curved-up lip on the boot as a spoiler, twin exhaust pipe which says 'AMG', there are some other body changes, the doorsills and speedo both say 'AMG', the boot says 'SLK32' on the left, and 'AMG' on the right.

The 230 is a lovely car, as is the plain 320. The 32AMG is a lot faster and the acceleration is just delicious. I think the most comfortable one is the 320, the zoomiest one is the 32AMG, and still think the 230 is great. Personally I think the 200 is underpowered. The 'facelift' they did in 2000 made some good changes to the steering, but is most visible in the indicators in the wing mirrors.

Did you know you can get a manual 230 or 320? They're a lot of fun too. If you're fussy about the colour you might like to know it's pretty difficult to find an AMG in anything other than black or silver.

In the end it's a question of personal preference. Why not go drive a few and see what you think?

Hope that helps
Jonathan

PS: this post has some nice pictures of a 32AMG
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/7407-new-member-slk32-club.html#post82947

And this one has a picture under the bonnet:
http://www.slkworld.com/amgs/7134-amg-engine-without-makers-badge.html#post80668

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx for the input. i beleive my search will start with an amg, but the 2 tone interior is what really draws me. the tan and black is amazing. another question is would an amg have the designation on the maroonie sticker? another words is the slk32 the model on the title for the car?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.