Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my SLK 350 has a standard roof, and I am tempted to get the top section changed for a glass section. Does anyone have an idea of cost or at least a part number?

I might want to get this done if not crazy money.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
49 Posts
hi mate i have a 2014 slk and mine had the glass roof already on it just came with a full inner roof liner the dealer charged me £224 to remove old line and fit the new liner only took them 15mins to fit
hope this helps

·
Registered
500 Posts
All new SLKs now come with the glass (polycarbonate) roof. It depends on what roof option you spec. The Std spec just has a solid headlining.

A couple of weeks ago I swapped the solid headlining in my 2 year old car to the one from the pano roof, it's a really easy DIY job.

Part No. A172 790 00 45 9H23
The last part of the number above is the colour code, my local dealer couldn't find the part until they had it.
£195.60 inc VAT

A couple of things to note:

The panoramic headlining comes complete with all the plastic clips, so no need to order new ones seperately or re-use the ones from your old headlining.

The box it comes in is pretty big i.e doesn't fit in a SLK!

·
Registered
22 Posts
All new SLKs now come with the glass (polycarbonate) roof. It depends on what roof option you spec. The Std spec just has a solid headlining.

A couple of weeks ago I swapped the solid headlining in my 2 year old car to the one from the pano roof, it's a really easy DIY job.

Part No. A172 790 00 45 9H23
The last part of the number above is the colour code, my local dealer couldn't find the part until they had it.
£195.60 inc VAT

A couple of things to note:

The panoramic headlining comes complete with all the plastic clips, so no need to order new ones seperately or re-use the ones from your old headlining.

The box it comes in is pretty big i.e doesn't fit in a SLK!
If it's any help I can confirm that all of the above is exactly what needed. I used the part number to order the panoramic roof lining from my dealer, it came into stock in just 2 days and I collected it yesterday.
My new car is due to arrive tomorrow with the fixed headlining in, my first job will be carefully pulling it out and replacing it with the panoramic lining.

I've taken pictures of the panoramic lining and the box that it comes in, if anyone's interested on more than happy to post them up.
I will also take pictures of before and after from both inside and outside the car.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
As an option on the 2015 cars, the panorama roof is a $2500 MSRP option. This is for the electrically dimming one. I'm not sure about the regular glass (polycarb) one. Seems a little pricey to add afterwards. To me anyway...

·
Registered
22 Posts
As an option on the 2015 cars, the panorama roof is a $2500 MSRP option. This is for the electrically dimming one. I'm not sure about the regular glass (polycarb) one. Seems a little pricey to add afterwards. To me anyway...
In the UK there are 3 different roof options:
1. standard roof which is the clear polycarbonate, but fitted inside with a solid roof lining. From the outside this looks exactly the same as option 2.
2. Panoramic vario-roof - this is the clear polycarbonate but this time fitted with a roof lining allowing you to see through the polycarbonate. This is a cost option at £410.
3. Lastly there is the magic sky option, the one that can turn from frosted to clear in the press of a button. This is a cost option of £1955.

If you buy a second-hand car with the first option or like me if you lease a new car but without ticking option to then you can replace the solid roof lining with a roof line from the Panoramic vario-roof so that you can see through the polycarbonate panel. In the UK the cost including tax £1195 and by all accounts it takes only minutes to swap them out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok so my SLK 350 has a standard roof, and I am tempted to get the top section changed for a glass section. Does anyone have an idea of cost or at least a part number?

I might want to get this done if not crazy money.

Any thoughts?
I have a 2011 250 SLK with UK spec. It came with the standard steel centre roof section. I would love to change just the steel centre panel for the glass centre panel, but I am told the complete centre roof section has to be changed, not just the panel, and this costs around £2,500!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,201 Posts
Hi! Do you know what the part number is for the glass?
I do but you have to update your profile and post an introduction thread

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (year?: 1996-2016, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Banned
974 Posts
In the UK there are 3 different roof options:
1. standard roof which is the clear polycarbonate, but fitted inside with a solid roof lining. From the outside this looks exactly the same as option 2.
2. Panoramic vario-roof - this is the clear polycarbonate but this time fitted with a roof lining allowing you to see through the polycarbonate. This is a cost option at £410.
3. Lastly there is the magic sky option, the one that can turn from frosted to clear in the press of a button. This is a cost option of £1955.
Gosh I'm confused. My used 2012 had a plastic tinted roof panel which was changed for free by Mercedes to glass (as fitted to later models) when water leaks couldn't be eliminated.

·
Registered 2012 250cdi
291 Posts
I don't get the point of having a glass "sun"roof in a roadster ? Man up and get the roof down guys , I don't include ladies as most I encounter will have the roof down if there is even a slight glimmer of sunshine lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand that MB found it was cheaper for them to fit clear glass roof panels, rather than painted steel ones, to all new SLK's. So the glass roof panel became standard equipment, rather than an option.
If you have an early SLK with a steel painted roof panel, it will cost you around £2500 to have it changed to a glass panel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't get the point of having a glass "sun"roof in a roadster ? Man up and get the roof down guys , I don't include ladies as most I encounter will have the roof down if there is even a slight glimmer of sunshine lol
But I'm in UK where it rains every other day and I'm going bald on the back :-(

·
94,201 Posts
But I'm in UK where it rains every other day and I'm going bald on the back :-(
Neishb,

First please update your location and vehicle (year?: 1996-2016, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it's any help I can confirm that all of the above is exactly what needed. I used the part number to order the panoramic roof lining from my dealer, it came into stock in just 2 days and I collected it yesterday.
My new car is due to arrive tomorrow with the fixed headlining in, my first job will be carefully pulling it out and replacing it with the panoramic lining.

I've taken pictures of the panoramic lining and the box that it comes in, if anyone's interested on more than happy to post them up.
I will also take pictures of before and after from both inside and outside the car.
Hey, that's great news - I found my perfect car and bought it yesterday. The only option it doesn't have is the pano and I thought I could live with that, but it there is a reasonable-cost option to get that as well I will be very happy :grin:
Would love to hear how your swap panned out and if you have the pictures you mentioned would love to see...
Thanks for posting the details about this.

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
639 Posts
Same boat, my 2012 350 was missing one option I really wanted, the Magic Sky roof or at least the Panoramic roof. But as a special order car, it had everything else, plus a great color. Also a local car with compete history. I gave some thought to a roof swap, but from this looks like you need the roof plus a lot of labor. The Magic Sky would also need wiring done, and IIRC the control is in the windscreen-attached panel, so all that would have to be replaced as well $$$. Such is life when you buy a used, er, pre-loved car. But any lower cost way would be of interest. Maybe the junkyard? That would be pure luck - what are the odds? At least I still have my first aid kit delete option (previous owner must have been pretty confident). :)

Yeah I know you can drop the top and that's my fallback/rationalization/salve, but a sunroof would really open it up. Why not both?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks to the advice on this forum, I've just changed the solid headlining on our 2014 SLK, and we've now got a pano roof. Really simple job and well worth the £200 for the new headlining.

·
Registered
21 Posts
SLK Roof

I'm new to this forum and trying to get my dealer to fit this to my 2013 SLK that I'm picking up on 1st Jan 2016, he says is a big job. can anyone help (I get the feeling he doesn't want to do it and is fobbing me off)

Thanks

·
94,201 Posts
I'm new to this forum and trying to get my dealer to fit this to my 2013 SLK that I'm picking up on 1st Jan 2016, he says is a big job. can anyone help (I get the feeling he doesn't want to do it and is fobbing me off)

Thanks
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (year?: 1996-2016, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.