Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advise guys. Taken the front suspension apart and the shocks, at least on one side, are out. Their Sachs 125-346, had thought they were in not bad condition.....definitely not original to the car.....but they are more rusty than I had thought. I've always felt the car ride was a bit harsh.....for want of a better description....not very Mercedes like....but then again its a two seater sports car! There are no leaks, they compress with force and return smoothly to the extended position. The only thing I was surprised at is there is very little travel before shock bottoms out. I would say not much more than 1". Is this normal?
So replace or not? I would replace with Bilstein B4's...not looking for anything harder than original stock suspension.

IMG_20181124_171604796 by Gary Laird, on Flickr

IMG_20181124_171613625 by Gary Laird, on Flickr

IMG_20181124_171630020 by Gary Laird, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
2,749 Posts
I can't comment on those shocks, but I do know there was much more than 1" 'give' in the stock shocks when I changed my broken spring last year.

I didn't bother upgrading the shocks as they were still perfectly OK.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I changed all 4 shocks on mine a couple of years ago and fitted Bilstein B4's which are very good. They are also OK with up to 25mm lowering springs if you should wish.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed all 4 shocks on mine a couple of years ago and fitted Bilstein B4's which are very good. They are also OK with up to 25mm lowering springs if you should wish.

Right, new B4 Bilstein's have been ordered for the front. Something is definitely funky with these old Sach shocks, you really can't compress more than 1". Very strange and not a problem I can find mentioned anywhere. I'll decide on rear replacements when I get them off the car.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update on this. The new Bilstein B4 shocks arrived and there up to 2" longer than the old Sachs I pulled off :surprise:! Might explain why the travel on the old shocks was so limited! Looking forward to smoother rides :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts