Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,
Got to my car this morning to find someone had kindly hit my front bumper and then driven off leaving me with a nice big crack and the bit of plastic to show for it. :frown:

Does this look repairable or a whole new bumper? If so, where best to go for a new bumper? Would the facelifted R171 bumper fit mine also?

Any and all advice please!

Josh

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Ouch!... need a dislike button for times like this!! :(

I'll leave others to comment whether it's repairable or not... if it does need a new bumper, using a facelift bumper isn't a simple swap. I'm sure there's a thread on that somewhere, but I think that lots of parts differ from pre-FL and FL (grills, mounting hardware, etc.).

Oh, and I rotated your pics to be the right way round for you too.. ;)

Reactions: JockySteer

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!,
Don't you just hate that. They can't park, hit your car and then bugger off.
At least the headlights are ok.
Not everyone is nice. Such is life.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
should be repairable...I just took my other car w bumper damage to a local shop for similar issue, and he showed me worse issues that had been repaired beautifully.....should be possible at the right shop....

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Sorry to hear that Josh.

I had similar damage repaired on my BMW front bumper. Check they proper repair it before they fill it, ie plastic weld or staple etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just bought a refurbed R171 AMG bumper off ebay for £181. Needs a rub down and respray then good as new! Didn't need this stress on a Friday! Probably would've bought a new one had I not shelled out for a Major Service and Insurance last week! :grin:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not having a lot of luck!

Had a body shop recommended by my local Merc indy have a look and they said they'll struggle to repair it and guarantee it not cracking again in the same place if I catch it. £722 ex VAT for a new bumper... That doesn't include painting and fitting

:crying::crying:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Not having a lot of luck!

Had a body shop recommended by my local Merc indy have a look and they said they'll struggle to repair it and guarantee it not cracking again in the same place if I catch it. £722 ex VAT for a new bumper... That doesn't include painting and fitting

:crying::crying:
Shouldn't a hit and run incident like this be covered by your insurance?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shouldn't a hit and run incident like this be covered by your insurance?
Yep it will be, however with no one sticking around to blame, I'll be claiming off my own insurer and imagine it'll have a negative knock-on effect on my insurance next month when it comes up for renewal. I'm only 24 after all! :grin:

If I hadn't just forked out for a major service, gearbox and engine tuning, rear tyres and have my insurance, tax and MOT to pay for next month, I'd probably go to my insurance. Not really sure what the best POA is to be honest!

Still waiting for the management company of our area to come back with the CCTV findings..

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Can't help you with that make of bumpers.

But here is where I got my BMW 5 Series bumper fixed and sprayed.

Bristol Bumper Repairs - The original plastic repair garage

Could try them for a second opinion, as in Bristol?

It is a small little back street garage, but they did a good job for me for reasonable money.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

It is a small little back street garage, but they did a good job for me for reasonable money.
Awesome, I will definitely check them out. I had it looked at by Peel's Motorkraft today as work near them. Apparently a repair would be fairly costly too and there's no guarantee it would hold up should it get hit again.. but judging by the damage already done, a new one wouldn't hold up either!

I will definitely give these guys a call too though! Thanks! :smile:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Popped down to see him just now and booked in. Repair (stapled) plus full respray for £240 all in, so booked it in for a couple of weeks. Goodbye stone chips!

Thanks very much for the recommendation mate. Will let you know how I get on. :grin:

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Popped down to see him just now and booked in. Repair (stapled) plus full respray for £240 all in, so booked it in for a couple of weeks. Goodbye stone chips!

Thanks very much for the recommendation mate. Will let you know how I get on. :grin:

You're welcome 0:):laugh:

Reactions: JockySteer
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.