Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I recently purchased an SLK 55 in Edmonton.

Beautiful car. Can't wait to cruise a little with it this summer.

I guess maybe I should've posted a little bit of a story around this car (as there almost always is one).

Called Weber Motors at the end of March to enquire about their "One day convertible sale" that was being advertised. Noone was picking up the phone in the sales department so finally I got a hold of the general manager.

We spoke for a bit about the sale and then discussed some maintenance issues I was having with my Smart car. The GM invited me to come down anytime before the end of March to check out the convertibles.

I went down to the dealership on a Friday, after work (My wife and daughter were away for the evening so I had some time to myself) and ended up crashing an invitational pre-sale for their preferred customers (I felt a little out of sorts). I took a look at a CLK.... very nice car. However, my opinion is that a true sports car should only have 2 seats. So we took a look at the SLK 55. I had built one online the night before and knew it was out of my price range.

While looking at the car the GM asked me if I wanted to take a test drive. At this point I had no intention on purchasing this car. I didn't know what the sale price was, but I knew it was out of my price range. I explained that I didn't feel we needed to take it for a test drive until I was committed to a purchase. He still insisted we drive one as they had an 08' in the breezeway ready for test drives.

So off we went. Taking an SLK 55 for a test drive. I had no idea what the price was. I also had no idea what the car was like either.

We took it down to the nearest freeway. I drove it down the first onramp to the freeway and stepped into it a bit to accelerate......

that's all it took to convince me I was buying the car.....

I curbed my enthusiasm the best I could for the rest of the ride, as we exited the freeway I sheepishly admitted I was going to buy the car if I could meet financing requirements.

So we went back into the showroom where I got introduced to a salesman. We talked numbers and I decided I could make the purchase happen (I'm now car poor. but I have an SLK55).

I guess this is where the story loses people. They say "ok, big deal. You bought a car you couldn't afford....stupid". You need a little info about me first. I am a tyrant when it comes to money. I don't risk a whole lot of things. I don't make frivilous purchases on a whim. I do months and months of research before I put out money for something.

So that night I sent my wife a build sheet via email on the car. She sent me back a response saying something like... "nice car. Expensive". The next morning on the phone I explained to her I bought it. It took 40 minutes to convince her I actually did buy the car.

She actually went down to the dealership later in the day to confirm it since she truly did not believe I bought a car like that on a whim. (That's right gents she didn't get mad at me for buying the car. She supported me. I'm a lucky man)

Anyway. That's the story. Now I'm car poor with a beautiful dream car. All because of about 5 seconds worth of acceleration ;)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,014 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Also, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for security updates and repairs to the site. Any amount is welcome! Thanks!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Welcome from California.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,014 Posts
read your edited post. what color? pics? now you get to do minimal mods, like the smarttop and clear side markers and a plexiglas windscreen! most can be picked up from the slkstore above. and if you have $5 left over, please contribute to the forum!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Beautiful car, and congrats - on the wifey as well! :) Nice to see I'm not going insane as I just re-read your original post and didn't remember a bit of it!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Nice narrative. Great color and thanks for the photos.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts