Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife wants to but y me a second set of keys/fob for my car for Christmas (she's a keeper, the car that is) lol. Did I say that aload.

Anyway called the MB dealer in Buffalo NY and he said approx $200 for it then I will have to take the car to them to program it($50.00). That's the bit I don't understand. If the key and fob are made to match the VIN on the car and the VIN number is programed into the chip in the fob. What else is it they have to do? And can I do that bit myself?

Ps. Canada MB wanted $480 + or the dealer I called quoted me that price, Before I forget what is a valet key (I know what a valet is) how do they work without the fob?

:Beer:

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
This is not what you want to hear.. there is no other way to get that key, then to take it to the dealership. It just can't be done. It must be programmed through them.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I actually totally agree with MBs attitude - do you want people to be able to buy keys for your car at the local locksmith or from ebay? I got two keys with my car when I bought it 9 years and 1 day ago - I've still got both. If you lose them, you deserve to pay heaps for your carelessness.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,210 Posts
What is a valet key you ask?

Unlocks the door, starts the car. Should not open the trunk or glove box. You need to lock the internal trunk release with the master key to prevent valets from opening your trunk that way. You would give the valet key to the valet in a parking garage etc. to park you car and they can't snoop in you car with it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woolly was there anything in what I wrote that spoke anything about buying from ebay? All I was asking was why do MB want the Vin number to get the fob and key cut and then need the car to program it. I never indicated that I was not willing to do what they ask. It was just a question.

Also did I indicate anyplace that I had LOST any keys NO I didn't I bought the car this summer and it came with one key and fob only. So founder or not ask before you jump to Assumptions or don't bother at all.

Thanks to all others that wrote back.

·
17,375 Posts
Woolly was there anything in what I wrote that spoke anything about buying from ebay? All I was asking was why do MB want the Vin number to get the fob and key cut and then need the car to program it. I never indicated that I was not willing to do what they ask. It was just a question.

Also did I indicate anyplace that I had LOST any keys NO I didn't I bought the car this summer and it came with one key and fob only. So founder or not ask before you jump to Assumptions or don't bother at all.

Thanks to all others that wrote back.
I don't understand your post at all?? I was just stating that I am happy that MB jump through all the hoops to ensure that keys for MB cars are only supplied to the legitimate owners. A fact that I'm very pleased about.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
new fob

I have a 2002 320 and wanted a second fob. I was told the same thing by some dealers about needing to program the new fob by the dealer. I found a dealer about 20 minutes from home. They let me fax the vin number and pay for the keyover the phone. When it arrived I drove up. I needed to show them my DL and registration. The parts manager came out to make sure it worked. No programming No extra cost. And the new fob and key were $150. I also got a valet key at the same time for $50

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
I have a 2002 320 and wanted a second fob. I was told the same thing by some dealers about needing to program the new fob by the dealer. I found a dealer about 20 minutes from home. They let me fax the vin number and pay for the keyover the phone. When it arrived I drove up. I needed to show them my DL and registration. The parts manager came out to make sure it worked. No programming No extra cost. And the new fob and key were $150. I also got a valet key at the same time for $50
Now that was a deal! But you still [of course] had to bring the car in. I think it's a standard practice. Otherwise every yahoo in the world would be creating keys for vins ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Woolly read it again you wrote it..

I actually totally agree with MBs attitude - do you want people to be able to buy keys for your car at the local locksmith or from ebay? I got two keys with my car when I bought it 9 years and 1 day ago - I've still got both. If you lose them, you deserve to pay heaps for your carelessness.

You may see nothing wrong with your reply but I take Offence to you assuming I lost the keys therefore I deserve to pay heaps for my carelessness.

Maybe if you took the time to read what I was asking before your reply it would have helped.

Do you understand this reply okay?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,210 Posts
Woolly was using a couple of examples where one could get key fobs from

On the second post, he was not referring to YOU, but if ONE loses them, ONE deserves..... you are taking it too personal

·
17,375 Posts
Woolly read it again you wrote it..

You may see nothing wrong with your reply but I take Offence to you assuming I lost the keys therefore I deserve to pay heaps for my carelessness.

Maybe if you took the time to read what I was asking before your reply it would have helped.

Do you understand this reply okay?
IF you read my reply, I used the word 'IF' - there is nowhere in my post where I assumed you lost your keys. The reference to eBay was to serve as a warning to other people who might read the thread. There have been numerous occasions on here over the last 7 years where people have misguidedly bought keys from eBay and to their surprise they find they don't work. No where in my post did I suggest that you had lost your keys, or were contemplating buying one from eBay.

Maybe you should take the time to read what was written, instead of being blatantly rude and assuming I was 'jumping to assumptions'. Obviously I am too polite to tell you what to do. If I chose to reply to threads in a forum that I helped to set up, and of which I am the senior moderator then I will.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,479 Posts
Let's not be overly sensitive about this. This is not the semantics board. This is the SLK forum. People express their opinions, I'm sure most people here do not mean offense, so I try not to take offense when there's two ways of reading something.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Where did all these trees come from? I see males marking their territories and a lot of grunting going on lol..

Let's all have a cupcake and relax shall we? Here is the upside..he's not ***B.. so let's all relax lol.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Woolly

I have gone over what went on the other day and I will apologize for the moon at the end which was not called for. Trouble with emails and the likes they are so impersonal and hard to know what the other writer is trying to saying. I know you said “IF” in your reply but in my mind “IF” and “YOU” is part of the same sentence therefore I read that as “If You” meant me. If you had said “If people loose them they deserve to pay heaps for their carelessness. I would agree and that would have been the end of it.

All I was trying to find out was if I order a new key and fob and it is made using the VIN number off my car then why does it then cost me an extra $50.00 or so when I pick it up. I can see why they want the see the car with the ownership in my name but what is the $50.00 for?

Robert320 indicated that theirs know other programming needed.

When I first got the car this summer the fob case was in bad shape so I bought and empty shell, it took me a while to change out the circuit board, batteries and chip so when I went to the car it worked great except the engine wouldn’t turn over so I had to remarry the fob to the car which take no time at all. Is that what the $50.00 is for?

Anyway that’s it. I’m still looking for answers on the keys. Robert320 am I to understand that the valet key will in fact start the car? Is the chip built into that key as well?
:Beer:

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,713 Posts
The valet key WILL start the car, however it will NOT open the trunk or glove box.

·
Registered
350 Posts
vin

i may be wrong. but isn't the vin number visible in the bottom of the windscreen stamped on the bulkhead? so you can match it with reg plate and owner docs if checking / buying car.
just thought, if you see a car you like that parks in same spot regularly, take its vin and get key made via internet or phone call?
:fart:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.