Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

As some of you already know, I'm upgrading the stock brakes on my 200 Kompressor to the 350's ones...

I've bought the Calipers on USA, and they arrived in Germany today, so I expect to receive them later this week.

Now I have to buy the disc Brakes.
I have looked for ATE, Zimmermann and VAICO.
I don't want a Racing Set. I prefer to buy a set with a good Cost / Quality ratio .

What brand to you guys advise me to buy?

Cheers,
Vinny

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I can't say I have a preference, but ATE has been an OEM supplier for Mercedes-Benz for many years. I used ATE discs many years ago when I replaced the brakes on my (now deceased) 190E 2.3-16 autocross & track toy.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I went for ATE. Bought my parts from Germany at autoteilemann.de
One thing to recommend. Buy cheramic pads, instead of regular ones. Then you don't have problems with black and dirty rims.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I just put Akebono Euro pads on mine and the dust level has decreased dramatically. I can tell that the stopping power is less, but not significantly so, and I won't be going back to OEM.

One side note - If you are considering slotted and/or drilled rotors I would go for the Zinc plated versions. I didn't and the only part of my new rotors that rust are the holes and slots. :(

Best Wishes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice mod vinny, I would check that the 200 master cylinder is ok with the change in brake calipers? Maybe the 350 is the same. You dont want to run out of pedal travel if the chambers in the calipers are larger!

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice mod vinny, I would check that the 200 master cylinder is ok with the change in brake calipers? Maybe the 350 is the same. You dont want to run out of pedal travel if the chambers in the calipers are larger!

I have already checked that.
The 200 master cylinder is the same as the 350 one. ! :grin:

Thanks.
Cheers

·
Air Suspension Manager
631 Posts

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So when are you going to install them? :)
They will look better than my conversion:
SLK350 brake upgrade by KorayH, on Flickr
They were released from costums, today.
I expect to receive them Monday or Tuesday.

Then I only have to wait for the Rotors and Pads ! :grin:

--------------
Unfortunately I can't see your image !!! :frown:

·
Air Suspension Manager
631 Posts
I've managed to see the image of your Front Brakes on Flickr. :laugh:

But.... You have the 350's Facelift Calipers (1 Piston) , right ?
That is right. I though 350's Facelift Calipers will be enough. :)
Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200 ; DAS/STAR Reg'd Owner
281 Posts
Vinny,

When I did this mod on mine, I used MB discs, but later I found out that they are ATE.

I recommend ATE.

The MB brake pads for the front are Brembo, but are one of the dirtiest set of pads I have used in a car until today. (The braking is excellent though)

Next ones I'm trying ceramic...

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vinny,

When I did this mod on mine, I used MB discs, but later I found out that they are ATE.

I recommend ATE.

The MB brake pads for the front are Brembo, but are one of the dirtiest set of pads I have used in a car until today. (The braking is excellent though)

Next ones I'm trying ceramic...

Great !

I go for the ATE rotors and the ATE Ceramic Pads.
I will make the order on Monday .... :grin:

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts