Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the new-ness of the dealerships pristine detailing wears off, the slight smell of smoker smell seems to be appearing.. i think it could be from the A/C. my question is: is the cabin air filter easy to replace? and also: where is the re-circulation inlet in the cabin. im going to try lighting some matches, or put some coffee grounds around the inlet while i run the AC to try and attack the smell.

any other thoughts and methods will be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,268 Posts
someone will reply but try a 'search' top right if you haven't already. also look in the r170 general discussion

the diy section for r171 has a cabin filter replace that might get you close

also look in leapyfishes signature block for help:

http://www.slkworld.com/482801-post16.html

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,527 Posts
Here is a how to change the interior air filter
You do not need to remove the glove box & be very careful with the clip that is closest to the firewall, do not let it slip off & drop behind the paneling.
Be sure to get a filter that has charcoal in it to remove odors etc.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
as the new-ness of the dealerships pristine detailing wears off, the slight smell of smoker smell seems to be appearing.. i think it could be from the A/C. my question is: is the cabin air filter easy to replace? and also: where is the re-circulation inlet in the cabin. im going to try lighting some matches, or put some coffee grounds around the inlet while i run the AC to try and attack the smell.

any other thoughts and methods will be greatly appreciated!
Replacing cabin air filter is super easy! Just need to be in an awkward position for a little while =) The guide linked to above is what you need.
If you want to have an idea about the air coming into your cabin check this thread out:
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/33742-air-recirculation-flap-inside-outside-cabin-air-problem.html

·
Registered
287 Posts
I ran over a dead skunk in my MG, that took car of any odor for about two months. Seriously, change the cabin filter, and buy a cheap Chinese ozone generator/air cleaner on Ebay and leave in car overnite for a week or so.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
A remedy for removing unwanted smells from Fridges / Freezers etc is to leave a bottle of Vanilla essence open inside for a few days/weeks.
I have seen the same idea used in cars owned by smokers to remove the nicotene smell.
Just sprinkle some arround the A/C ducting soak a piece of cotton wool in it and leave in the car for a few weeks replentashing occasionallt may well help.

·
Registered 2003 SLK320
613 Posts
When I bought my car it smelled im uk so don't know if you get it in the states but I just sprayed the inside with frebreeze closed doors left it overnight and the car has been fine ever since.
Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.