Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Hopefully in another couple of weeks I will be collecting my baby. The oil question of past posts don't answer my question. (Well I couldn't find a post)
My question is. What oil brand does MB ship the car with? Castrol? Mobile? Or maybe something else.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,275 Posts
Based on the recommended fluids list, I would say Mobile 1

If you look at the fluid spec. (sheet number) in your owners manual, then cross reference it HERE, it will give you a list of approved oil manufacturers & type.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,395 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Mercedes dealers actually sell Mercedes Engine Oil 229.51

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131529847297

So if you want the proper stuff, get a litre when you pick up the car. Or, as has been pointed out, all the branded oil companies make a 229.51 compatible oil. The Mercedes oil is usually cheaper though. It should be about £6 for a litre of topping up oil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I'm guess at this point into my journey of owning a merc, I'm gonna play safe and buy a 1 litre top up from the dealer. It just makes me a bit nervous when my neighbour opposite me used to own a sl years ago. He bought it new and months into his ownership he decided to embark on a little adventure. Namely a long drive to Europe. He thought having the oil and filter changed would be a good idea first. He asked a local mechanic to undertake this work rather than get ripped off by MB. However, after picking his car up and driving it for about 30 miles the engine failed. Ultimatlwy he went Mercedes to get sorted. Mercedes couldn't understand why the engine had failed. After stripping it down and sending parts and oil samples to Germany. They found the incorrect oil was used which led to the failer of the engine. My neighbour was forced to stump the bill and the cost of a new engine. This all happened 20yrs ago. But it serves as a reminder to us all. Not to cut costs by using cheaper oils.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I'm on my second CDi250 and neither has used any oil at all during my ownership (I've probably cursed it now). With the genuine MB Motor Oil 229.51 being so cheap it really doesn't make any sense to buy anything other than the original MB oil. It's only going to sit unused in the boot for years anyway... :)

I've also been very pleasantly surprised at how cheap Mercedes spares and consumables are. My other cars have generally been VAG and the parts on them (even Skoda) are significantly more expensive than Mercedes parts. The labour rates in East Anglia, on the other hand, are outrageous. You don't say where you are in Suffolk, but Mercedes Bury St Edmunds and Mercedes Norwich are in some sort of race to get to £250/hour I reckon. Every time I go back, it just gets more expensive. Mercedes Harrogate, who do my Brabus stuff, are £135/hour which is still outrageous, but at least I get a Brabus technician to work on my car rather than just a plain old Mercedes technician. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.