Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the brake pads of my 2006 SLK280 this weekend with EBC Brakes DP31365C Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pads.

The pads are excellent but the wear indicator cable included was not compatible with my 2006 SLK280. The pads fit perfectly, but the supplied wear indicator cable was a single wire design with a one pin circular connector. My 2006 SLK280 used a two wire indicator cable with two smaller connecting pins. I was fortunate that my original cable was still OK (becasue I was changing the pads early). Not all of the four pads in the kit included the hole for wear indicator, so you need to be sure to installed them in proper locations. My other complain is that the pads did not include new stainless steel guide hardware. I have purchased pads of similar quality for less money that included new hardware. On the positive side, the pads fit properly and I didn't get any sort of screeching. Although my front rotors had a lip, I didn't feel they needed to be turned or replaces. Since the EBC pads included a special coating designed to de-glaze the rotors, I did not feel the need to do anything to the rotors at all. I just installed the pads and drove.

I did have one stuck front wheel. that I required extra effort to remove. I broke it loose by loosening the lug bolts and then driving up and down my driveway while steering and braking sharply. This worked like a charm. Before reinstalling the wheels, I cleaned up the mounting surfaces and coated the surfaces with gray anti-seize.

The brakes actually feel "better" than before which was a pleasant surprise. My past experience with ceramic pads had me expecting that the pads would be harder and require higher pedal effort for similar braking performance, but this was not the case. I am looking forward to greatly reduced dust.

Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.