Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered 2006 Slk280
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced all 4 rotors and sets of brakes on my 2006 SLK280. The fact that I’ve done it many times on other models helped a lot!! Front brake calipers you need an 18mm socket and rear calipers a 16mm socket to remove.......BUT........the rear caliper bolts are hard to get to with a ratchet.......SO..........a 5/8” SAE closed in wrench works fine on those!! Be sure to remove the brake fluid cap before spreading the calipers for the new brakes. Oh........all 4 “slotted” rotors and all 4 sets of brakes including the front wear indicator only
cost........(drumroll please)............$130.00 including shipping!!! Yep that’s it!! I figure I saved about $3,000 if the “Stealership” did it!! There is a T30 Torx screw holding each rotor on after the wheel is taken off. I would recommend an impact T30 bit and an impact driver to loosen the torx screws. The first one I stripped out and had to drill out but all turned out well. Also buy replacement torx rotor screws. A set of 4 on eBay is around $16 including shipping!! Also when you take your calipers off(especially the front) use a strong wire to suspend them from the strut so you don’t put any strain on the brake hoses!! If you’ve done this already, you know the satisfaction afterwards........if you haven’t yet, a good torque wrench is required along with some good sockets. No need to bleed the brakes but you may have to level out the reservoir as the fluid level will rise. Have fun and Happy Money Saving my fellow SLK owners!!!

·
Registered 2006 Slk280
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pictures of the new rotors and a few of the tools mentioned

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 SLK200
17 Posts
great advice, thanks.

What size T30 bolt is used? I am thinking of the drilled slotted replacements going on my SLK200 shortly and am buying an impact driver & bit upfront, on the expectation that the old ones are going to be hard to remove DIY at home.

·
Registered 2006 Slk280
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 5 of 5 Posts