Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New BMW Z4

5K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  dmjonez 
#1 ·
What do members think of the new BMW Z4? From the pics it looks absolutely gorgeous and seems reasonably priced too. I must admit now that it has a folding hard top I would be very tempted to consider a change.

#2 ·
:td:Getting better, but still needs refinement. Retractable hardtop is a current must have. Why would anyone purchase a current model vert with a old 50s ragtop? Never owned a BMW. I like the 3 and 6 series, they're head turners, but would not consider one at this time.

#5 ·
I've owned a half dozen BMWs and liked them all. In fact, I was originally looking for a Z3 when I bought my first SLK. The hard top and interior refinement of the SLK320 convinced me to make the switch. BMW makes a great car, that's why there are so many of them on the road. There is a little less exclusiveness with the BMW. We still own an X3, and I like it very much. For a small SUV, it's a great fit for my family.
But the Z4 still seems a half-step behind the SLK to me. I love the new hard-top, the cost is nice, and the small changes to the design look better to me. But for now I think the SLK has the edge in styling, and performance (until they make an M model to compete with the AMG).

But it'll be a few years until I'm ready to trade, so we'll see what the market has to offer then. If I were to buy today, I'd give the Z4 a hard look...

#6 ·
The new Z4 looks very nice IMO, except the motion of how the hard top fold together. To be more specific, when it close the top, both pieces of metal goes together to the top, then the top piece goes back down to close the roof. It just doesn't look as smooth as the SLK. I am sure there is logic behind the flow of motion, but that extra weight of movement over a long period of time is sth I will concern about.

I used to own an E36 convetible, the soft top start to having issue during the 8th year, so I am no sure about the new hard top on both 3 series and Z4 as it is relatively new compare to the hard top technology from MB.

Although I would agree that it will be a harder choice today between the SLK and Z4 for some people. I will likely go with the SLK simply because I can fit a set of golf club and the pull cart in the trunk and still have the top down with the SLK, I don't think Z4 has that much usable trunk space.:biglaugh:

#8 ·
Ive been debating getting a c63 amg in a year or 2... and I like the M3's quite a bit too, so im sure if I go that route ill have to test drive between the two. That of course would mean me giving up my SLK which at the moment im not ready to do!

Will have to see though, I love the M series from BMW, not so keen on the other models.

#10 ·
Looks a bit better than the outgoing model, but that wasn't too hard. Could be tempting since it'll still come with a manual transmission in the US unlike the SLK350, but if I could get myself to buy a convertible without airscarf, it would still be a Boxster.

#21 ·
I think there really struggling to find a unique character for this car. From those drive away angles in the movie it looks like a 911.. While the front retains the Fugly from the original.

I'm sure it's an awesome car to drive.. Alas unlike your children with a car you can pick a pretty one. :)

#22 ·
I'd sure have to drive one extensively before I bought, to insure that its handling and ride have GREATLY improved over the old Z3. One of my adult daughters just HAD TO HAVE a Z3 a few years back, and I was assigned to test drive and inspect used examples. They all handled like a "rubber bands" and I found the ride to be punishing. The bodies didn't feel very stiff. I reported this all to her, but she wanted one anyway. A few years later, I had the occasion to drive hers on a trip of about 225 miles, and the ride almost made me sick.

#23 ·
As you can see, they've dropped the base model and the 300 hp twin turbo six is the top dog, no M for the new Z4.

#24 ·
I'd sure have to drive one extensively before I bought, to insure that its handling and ride have GREATLY improved over the old Z3. One of my adult daughters just HAD TO HAVE a Z3 a few years back, and I was assigned to test drive and inspect used examples. They all handled like a "rubber bands" and I found the ride to be punishing. The bodies didn't feel very stiff. I reported this all to her, but she wanted one anyway. A few years later, I had the occasion to drive hers on a trip of about 225 miles, and the ride almost made me sick.

#26 ·
Price feels pretty high to me. Around $50k USD for the base model, to about $60k with all options and the turbos. That's $10k more than the previous one. I don't think a hard top and the other changes are worth a 25% price increase. They're probably making room at the bottom for the upcoming Z2.

#27 ·
the Z2, now THAT's a car i'm eagerly waiting to see. hope they don't screw up like they did with the 135...high price, high weight, no space....

I loved the previous Z4 though...handling was great.

#30 ·
thanks for the info...BOO bmw! they should release an ultralight version of the Z4 then...fixed top, no insulation..., big engine. TII style...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.