Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered 2009 SLK300
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 09 came with the AMG sport suspension and when I bought it 2 years ago w/ ~32k miles, I could tell it was under dampened. A year later, one strut was leaking so I started working on replacements (not easy to find a set of B8s!!!). I planned to install them over the winter, but spent the time working on my garage (insulating) - this year the struts were noticeably worse with 5k miles. Last weekend I figured a had a little spare time so I swapped them in with new mounts. Wow - amazing improvement! These are what the car should have come with from the factory. The originals were Delphi 22215322. I have a rear pair on order (hopefully!) as I was unable to find any last year. We'll see.

These were some of the easiest struts I've replaced - little tricky compressing due to the extremely short springs. I have a Branick 7600 and it would max out just before fully releasing the nut.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
252 Posts
Although the AMG setup feels quite stiff it is not really so. I have a film of somebody riding behind me in the SLK55 filming me and see that the back is really doing a lot of vertical movement. Especially compared to some Porsches in the same group back then.

Should that improve with a Bilstein B8 or B12 setup?

·
Registered
463 Posts
All I can tell you is that after the B12 kit went in with both the B8 shocks/struts and the 1" lowering springs, even wifey said she noticed the improved ride quality on her butt dyno. She said it was less harsh. And considering I'm running shoes that are low profile 19's, that's saying something.

It was surprising that she even brought it up, so clearly she felt a difference. Best part was recovering most of the cost by selling the AMG parts on fleabay.

There are a few other guys on the forum with the B12 kit installed. Maybe start a new thread asking for comments before making a decision.

·
Registered 2009 SLK300
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the rear set installed a couple weeks ago and it really finished things off nicely. They are certainly stiffer - but in a good way. They now dampen the bumps instead of letting the suspension crash over them. Big overall improvement!

·
Registered Slk 200 2006
39 Posts
guys a question about amg suspension
a)is it a bit lower that the standard one? how much?
b)if i install a set of springs or a suspension kit (b12 for example) and it says that it lowers the car 25 or 30mm, it means in the standard one? so if the amg suspension is already lowered extra lets say 1cm, thats means the car will get lowered 25 or 30mm - 1cm?
hope i was clear and thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts