Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace the battery in the R171 350 today. It seems 12 days sitting idle and last week's cold snap was the end of it.

The battery was an MB labelled Varta unit so quite possibly the original. If so, it did well to last 11 years.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I grabbed a Bosch S5 008 from Euro Car Parts, a small increase in Ah over the standard-fit and 100 extra cold cranking amps. :smile:

My Golf has been using an S5 for 8 years without issue. The 944 has had one in there for 6 years and regularly sits for weeks in the winter with no starting problems.

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
3,633 Posts
If you don't use your car all the time, it would be beneficial to invest in a battery conditioner.
I have mine plugged into an Optimate.
I have a waterproof plug permanently connected so i just plug it in when i park up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
+1, agree, modern trickle chargers are light and inexpensive (about US$20). They extend the life of the battery and keep it at 100% cold cranking capability. I keep it on all winter and whenever I don't use the car for more than a week or two.

If you don't use your car all the time, it would be beneficial to invest in a battery conditioner.
I have mine plugged into an Optimate.
I have a waterproof plug permanently connected so i just plug it in when i park up.

·
Registered 2005 SLK 350
31 Posts
I have an 05 and I think my battery is the original based on all the service records I have. The last service it had the dealer report said the battery was marginal. Now that it's cold I see the car cranks slower than normal. I run it every other day just to charge the battery. I'm not sure if I should get a conditioner or a new battery maybe both. Based on the fact that it lasted 11 years I to am thinking to get a battery from the dealer.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
I have an 05 and I think my battery is the original based on all the service records I have. The last service it had the dealer report said the battery was marginal. Now that it's cold I see the car cranks slower than normal. I run it every other day just to charge the battery. I'm not sure if I should get a conditioner or a new battery maybe both. Based on the fact that it lasted 11 years I to am thinking to get a battery from the dealer.
Get both: a new battery and trickle battery charger/conditioner, something similar to CTEK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.