Mercedes SLK World banner

New battery time....

999 Views 12 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  beachcomber
I had to replace the battery in the R171 350 today. It seems 12 days sitting idle and last week's cold snap was the end of it.

The battery was an MB labelled Varta unit so quite possibly the original. If so, it did well to last 11 years.
Reactions: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Hi All
@GleenS. Snap I did my last month ,the same Oem battery 2005 car , So I pickup the same off the maindealer price £135 .

Cheers

Andy
Reactions: 2
Excellent news ..... looks like I could get another three years out of mine as it's only eight years old. :D
Reactions: 3
I grabbed a Bosch S5 008 from Euro Car Parts, a small increase in Ah over the standard-fit and 100 extra cold cranking amps. :smile:

My Golf has been using an S5 for 8 years without issue. The 944 has had one in there for 6 years and regularly sits for weeks in the winter with no starting problems.
If you don't use your car all the time, it would be beneficial to invest in a battery conditioner.
I have mine plugged into an Optimate.
I have a waterproof plug permanently connected so i just plug it in when i park up.
Hi All
I feel another show & tell coming on

Cheers

Andy
Reactions: 2
Hi All
I feel another show & tell coming on

Cheers

Andy
On-line show and tell
OptiMate UK
I have an older version used for 12 years on my bike (VFR ) it seems to work ok on SLK.
They make Canbus ones now, i don't know if that's any better?
My battery was only 2 1/2 years old and had a bad cell in it.....So I have to spring for a new one...

jnc1948
+1, agree, modern trickle chargers are light and inexpensive (about US$20). They extend the life of the battery and keep it at 100% cold cranking capability. I keep it on all winter and whenever I don't use the car for more than a week or two.

If you don't use your car all the time, it would be beneficial to invest in a battery conditioner.
I have mine plugged into an Optimate.
I have a waterproof plug permanently connected so i just plug it in when i park up.
Looks like mine is on the way out too. 11 years....not bad!
I have an 05 and I think my battery is the original based on all the service records I have. The last service it had the dealer report said the battery was marginal. Now that it's cold I see the car cranks slower than normal. I run it every other day just to charge the battery. I'm not sure if I should get a conditioner or a new battery maybe both. Based on the fact that it lasted 11 years I to am thinking to get a battery from the dealer.
I have an 05 and I think my battery is the original based on all the service records I have. The last service it had the dealer report said the battery was marginal. Now that it's cold I see the car cranks slower than normal. I run it every other day just to charge the battery. I'm not sure if I should get a conditioner or a new battery maybe both. Based on the fact that it lasted 11 years I to am thinking to get a battery from the dealer.
Get both: a new battery and trickle battery charger/conditioner, something similar to CTEK.
Get both: a new battery and trickle battery charger/conditioner, something similar to CTEK.
I guess I need to stop being cheep and buy both.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.